Are you worried about your CSV file converting into XLSX file? No worries! You have come to the right place. There are several ways to do it but here I’ll show 4 quick ways to convert CSV to XLSX with clear steps and vivid illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel template from here and practice on your own.
4 Ways to Convert CSV to XLSX
First, get introduced to my CSV file that is opened in Notepad. It represents some fruit prices for three consecutive months. CSV stands for Comma Separated Value. So have a look at my dataset, the values are separated with commas.
1. Use Open with from File Explorer to Convert CSV to XLSX
In our very first method, we’ll convert the CSV file to XLSX by opening it with File Explorer in Excel. Because if you open it in Excel then Excel will show it as a spreadsheet.
- Right-click on your CSV file.
- Then click as follows from the Context menu: Open with ➤ Excel.
Now see, Excel is showing it as an XLSX spreadsheet. Keep in mind that no formats of Excel can be saved in CSV files. And if you close the Excel window then it will remain the same as the CSV file. To save it as an XLSX file, go forward to the next section.
Read More: How to Open CSV with Delimiter in Excel (6 Simple Ways)
2. Apply Save As Option to Convert CSV to XLSX
Here we’ll learn how to Save as an XLSX file after conversion from CSV using the Save As option.
- Later, click on Save As from the appeared options.
Soon after a dialog box will open up.
- Select Excel Workbook(*.xlsx) from the File type drop-down box.
- Then just press Save.
Now see the image below, the file is converted to an XLSX file in the same folder with the same name.
Read More: Convert CSV to Excel Automatically with Easy Steps
- How to Import CSV into Existing Sheet in Excel (5 Methods)
- Excel VBA: Read Text File into String (4 Effective Cases)
- How to Import Text File to Excel Using VBA (3 Easy Ways)
- Open CSV File with Columns in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
- Excel VBA to Read CSV File into Array (4 Ideal Examples)
3. Use Text Import Wizard Feature
By using the Text Import Wizard feature we can import the CSV file as text in Excel by which Excel will convert it into a spreadsheet.
- Open the Excel app.
- Next, click as follows: Data ➤ Get Data ➤ Legacy Wizards ➤ From Text (Legacy).
- Select the CSV file from the specific folder.
- Then press Import and the 3 steps Text Import Wizard will appear.
- Mark Delimited from the first step and press Next.
- Form the second step, mark Comma, and press Next again.
- In the final step, mark General and press Finish.
- Then from the Import Data dialog box, select your desired worksheet. I marked the Existing worksheet.
- Finally, just press OK.
Then you will get the output like the image below.
- Now to Save it as an XLSX file follow the second method.
Read More: How to Import Text File to Excel Automatically (2 Suitable Ways)
4. Open Power Query to Convert CSV to XLSX
Excel Power Query has a lot of versatile operations. It can be used to convert CSV files to XLSX too. It takes pretty much more steps compared to the previous methods but may be helpful for some particular cases.
- Open the Excel app first.
- After that, click as follows: Data ➤ From Text/CSV.
- After appearing the Import Data dialog box, select your CSV file.
- Then click Import.
- Here, select Comma from the Delimiter dropdown box.
- Select Based on the first 200 rows from the Data Type Detection. It is the default option, you can change it as your requirement.
- Finally, click Load.
It is now loaded as a Table in the worksheet. We can easily convert it to a normal range.
- Click any data from the dataset.
- Next, click as follows: Table Design ➤ Convert to Range.
Here’s the converted normal range.
- Now if you want to save it as an XLSX file follow the second method.
Read More: Excel VBA to Convert CSV File to XLSX (2 Easy Examples)
I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to convert CSV to XLSX. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.
- How to Import Text File to Excel Automatically (2 Suitable Ways)
- Excel VBA to Read CSV File Line by Line (3 Ideal Examples)
- How to Open Notepad or Text File in Excel with Columns (3 Easy Methods)
- Open CSV File in Excel with Columns Automatically (3 Methods)
- How to Open Large CSV Files in Excel (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Sort CSV File in Excel (2 Quick Methods)
This article is extremely helpful! I’m glad to know there are several methods to convert CSV files to XLSX quickly and easily. It’s great to know that I don’t need to download any extra software to make the change. Thanks for sharing!
Dear William B,
You are most welcome.