You can use notes or comments in a cell to help you better understand a formula and specify its significance. There are a few different ways to add notes or comments in Microsoft Excel. In this tutorial, we will show you how to add notes in an Excel formula.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
4 Handy Approaches to Add Notes in Excel Formula
We’ve provided a data set from which we calculated a company’s growth percentage in the image below. We’ll add notes to various cells in the existing data set while explaining how to do so in Excel. We’ll cover keyboard shortcuts, the Review tab, using the mouse, and some unique Microsoft Office 365 features in our four methods. We will also provide instructions on how to edit the notes and comments that have been applied.
1. Apply Keyboard Shortcut to Add Notes in Excel Formula
The keyboard shortcut is one of the easiest ways to add notes in Excel cells. Follow the simple instructions below to do so.
- To begin, choose the cell to which you want to add notes.
- Press Shift + F2 to open the box to add notes.
- Then, type whatever important message you want to specify.
- After writing down the note, click any outside cell.
- One red mark will appear on the cell, indicating that it contains a note.
- Once you move the cursor to the cell, the note will appear as shown in the image below.
2. Use Review Tab to Add Notes in Excel Formula
In the following method, we will use the Review tab from the ribbon. From the Review tab options, we will use the Comments group. Follow the outlined steps below.
- Firstly, select the cell.
- Click on the Review tab.
- From the Comments group, select the New Comment command to add a new note or comment.
- Type any significant comment (percentage of Growth) you want to insert.
- To post or add a comment, click on the green button or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Enter .
- After adding the comment, the posted comment will appear just as shown in the below image.
3. Apply Insert Comment Command to Add Note
You can use the mouse to add notes in addition to keyboard shortcuts. To add comments and notes, we’ll use the Insert Comment command. The command is called New Comment in Microsoft Office 365. Just follow the steps outlined below.
- Firstly, click on a cell to select it.
- Right-click the mouse to open the available options and commands.
- Click on Insert Comment or New Comment from the list.
- If you are a Microsoft Office 365 user, one additional command named “New Note” will appear. You can also use the New Note command to add notes.
- Write down any notes or comments you might want to add.
- Finally, click on the green button to post the comment.
- After adding the comment, the comment will appear when you move the cursor close to the cell.
4. Use New Notes Command in Excel Formula
The command New Note is dedicated solely to adding notes for all Microsoft Office 365 users. The difference between comments and notes is that with comments, you can reply and have a conversation, whereas with notes, you cannot.
- Click on the Review tab to open the Notes option from the Comments group.
- From the Notes option, click on the New Note command.
- Type anything important you want to mention.
- We indicated the highest growth percentage for the specific month.
- Simply click on any outside cell and your note will be added to the cell.
- Additionally, do the procedure again by adding a new note to indicate the lowest growth percentage.
- Therefore, another extra note will be added indicating the lowest growth.
- After adding notes, you can edit them anytime you want to. Simply click on the note box and retype whatever you want.
Go to Previous/Next Notes:
You can go through the previous and next notes by applying the Previous Comment and Next Comment commands.
- To show the previous comment, click on the Previous Comment command from the Comments group.
- To show the next comment, select the Next Comment command.
- Similarly, to see previous or next notes, use the Previous Note and Next Note commands from the Notes option.
Show All Notes:
- Firstly, click on the Show Comments from the Review tab to show up all the comments in a sequence.
- You can see all the comments have appeared on the right side.
- To show all the notes, click on Show all Notes from the Notes option.
- Therefore, all the notes will appear beside the corresponding cells.
Resolve and Delete Notes:
- To resolve all the comments, click on the Resolve thread Resolving means no comments will be allowed after that, all issues are fixed or resolved.
- Additionally, click on the Delete thread to delete all the comments.
- To delete notes, click on the Delete Note commands.
Read More: How to Remove Notes in Excel (5 Easy Ways)
I hope this article has given you a tutorial about how to add notes in an Excel formula. All of these procedures should be learned and applied to your dataset. Take a look at the practice workbook and put these skills to the test. We’re motivated to keep making tutorials like this because of your valuable support.
Please contact us if you have any questions. Also, feel free to leave comments in the section below.
We, the Exceldemy Team, are always responsive to your queries.
Stay with us and keep learning.
- How Do I Stop My Notes from Moving in Excel (2 Useful Methods)
- Hide Notes in Excel (3 Handy Approaches)
- How to Print Notes in Excel (2 Simple Methods)