Excel automatically removes the leading zeros from a number when you enter it in a cell. Therefore, you cannot directly write 001 in excel and display it as such. This article shows 11 possible ways to write 001 in excel. The following picture highlights the purpose of this article.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the download button below.
11 Methods to Write 001 in Excel
Anytime you try to enter a number with zeros before them, excel automatically removes the leading zeros as shown in the following picture.
This becomes problematic when you need to enter zip-codes, telephone numbers, social security numbers, etc. which may contain zeros at the beginning. But there are ways you can write 001 in excel both as a text and a number. The following 11 methods I’m going to illustrate for you will help you to do that.
1. Write 001 in Excel with Custom Number Format
If you want to enter numbers with leading zeroes and store them as numbers, follow the steps below.
- First, select the cell ranges (B4:B5) where you will store your data.
- Then, open the Format Cells dialog box by pressing CTRL+1.
- After that, select the Custom category from the Number tab. After that, enter 00# in the Type: box. Then hit the OK button.
- You can use more zeros before # if you want. Then the number will change accordingly.
- Now, enter 001 in cell B4. Then you will see that the formula box is showing just 1 but the cell is showing 001 as desired.
- Now try this in cell B5 by entering 002. You will always get the desired result.
2. Write 001 Using the Apostrophe (‘) Symbol
First of all, you can just type an apostrophe (‘) before tying the number. Then, excel will consider the number as text. And the number will be stored as entered as follows. An error sign may show up for entering the number as text.
3. Write 001 Using the Ampersand (&) Symbol
You can also use the ampersand (&) symbol to write 001 in excel.
- Use the following formula in cell B4 to get the desired result.
4. Write 001 Using Excel TEXT Function
Alternatively, you can enter the following formula in cell B4. The TEXT function in the formula converts the number to the desired text format as shown below.
5. Write 001 Using the TEXTJOIN Function
- Now, use the following formula in cell B4 to write 001. The formula contains the TEXTJOIN function.
- How to Change Font Size of the Whole Sheet with Excel VBA
- Excel VBA Codes to Bold Text in a String (5 Examples)
- Text Alignment with VBA Command Button in Excel (5 Methods)
- How to Capitalize First Letter of Each Word in Excel (4 Ways)
- How to Change Lowercase to Uppercase in Excel Without Formula
6. Write 001 Using the CONCAT Function in Excel
- Another alternative to writing 001 is by using the CONCAT Function. Enter the following formula in cell B4. Then you will get the desired result as follows.
7. Write 001 Using the CONCATENATE Function
- Using the CONCATENATE function gives the same result.
8. Write 001 in Excel Using the RIGHT Function
- Enter the following formula with the RIGHT function in cell B4 to get the same result.
9. Write 001 in Excel Using the BASE Function
- You can use the BASE function too to write 001 in excel. To do that, enter the following formula in cell B4. After that, you will get the result as shown below.
10. Get 001 Using the REPT and LEN Functions
- To get 001 in excel using REPT and LEN functions, you need to apply the following formula in cell B4.
- Here, 0 is repeated 3-LEN(1) times. 3 stands for the length of the output text. LEN(1) gives the length of 1 which is 1. Therefore, 0 is repeated 3-1=2 times and concatenated with 1 by the ampersand (&) symbol.
11. Write 001 Using the Text Format in Excel
You can directly enter 001 or 0002 and so on in excel by using Text Format in desired cell range. You need to follow the steps below to learn how to do that.
- First, select the entire range where you will store your data. In this case, the range is B4:B5.
- Now, press CTRL+1. This will open the Format Cells dialog box. After that, select the Text category from the Number tab. Next, hit the OK button.
- Now enter 001 in cell B4. It will be stored as such.
- After that, enter 002 in cell B5 and see the following result.
- You can just ignore the Error It is because you are storing numbers as texts. To remove it, select the cells first. Then click on the error sign. Next, choose Ignore Error. Then the error sign will no longer be visible.
Things to Remember
- Don’t use the number pad on your keyboard to press CTRL+1 to open the Format Cells dialog box.
- Make sure you’ve used the double quotes (“”) properly in the formulas.
- You can use cell reference instead of typing 1 in the formula if you want to apply the formulas to the existing dataset.
- You may face some real problems if you store numbers as text. Because you won’t be able to sort or filter them as numbers if needed.
Now you know how to write 001 in excel. Hope this article has helped you with your problem. Please use the comment section below for further queries or suggestions. You can also visit our ExcelDemy blog to learn more about excel.
- Excel VBA: Format Cell as Text (3 Methods)
- How to Format Text to Capitalize First Letter in Excel (10 Ways)
- How to Convert Text to Time Format with AM/PM in Excel (3 Methods)
- [Fixed!] Unable to Change Font Color in Excel (3 Solutions)
- How to Change Lowercase to Uppercase in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Use VBA Code to Change Font Color in Excel (3 Methods)