Excel is a very useful tool for plotting different kinds of charts. Excel offers various options to format the plotted charts to make it look more attractive. While making a smooth line chart is an easy task in Excel, one might find it difficult to make a smooth area chart in Excel. In this article, we will walk you through five steps to make a smooth area chart in Excel.
How to Make Smooth Area Chart in Excel (With Easy Steps)
In this article, we will demonstrate five easy steps to make a smooth area chart in Excel. We will use the following dataset for this purpose.
Step 1: Insert an Area Chart
In the first step, we will create an area chart using the dataset.
- First of all, select all the data from the Months and Sales columns.
- Then click on the Insert tab and go to,
Insert → Charts → Insert Line or Area Chart → Area
- Hence, the area chart will be created.
Read More: Excel Area Chart Data Label Position
Step 2: Duplicate Data Series
In this step, we need to duplicate the data series to add a new chart to make a smooth area chart in Excel.
- First, select both Months and Sales columns.
- Then press the right button of your mouse and click on Copy.
- After that, paste it into your preferred cells.
Step 3: Add New Chart
Now we will add a new chart using the duplicated data series.
- First, right-click on the chart and click on Select Data.
- As a result, the Select Data Source dialog box will appear.
- From the dialog box, select Add.
- The Edit Series pop-up will open. Click on the arrow under the Series name.
- Then select the Months column and click on the arrow.
- Similarly, click on the arrow under Series values.
- Then select the Sales column and click on the arrow.
- After that, press Enter twice to get the new chart added to the old one.
Read More: Excel Stacked Area Chart Negative Values
Step 4: Change Chart Type
In this step, we will change the type of the newly added chart.
- First of all, right-click on the chart and select Change Series Chart Type.
- The Change Chart Type window will pop up.
- In the window, go to the All Charts tab and click on Combo.
- Then choose the new chart under Series Name.
- Next, change the chart type to Line from Area.
- After that, click OK.
Step 5: Check Smoothed Line Option
In the final step, we will smooth out the line option to make a smooth area chart in Excel.
- First, right-click on the Line chart and click on Format Data Series.
- As a result, the Format Data Series panel will open on the right side of the Excel sheet.
- In the panel, click on Fill & Line from the Series Options.
- Then check the box of the Smoothed line option.
- Finally, change the color to the same as the Area chart.
- Now, if you look at the chart, you might see small gaps between the Line and Area chart.
- To get rid of the small gaps, increase the Width of both the Line and Area chart.
- Consequently, you will have your desired smooth area chart in your Excel sheet.
- Create both the Line and Area chart in the same color.
- If there are small gaps between the Line and Area chart, increase the width of both charts.
Read More: Stacked Area Chart with Line in Excel
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
Thanks for making it this far. I hope you find this article useful. Now you know five easy steps to make a smooth area chart in Excel. Please let us know if you have any further queries, and feel free to give us any recommendations in the comment section below.