In this article, we will learn to plot points on a map in Excel. We can use 2 effective ways to plot points on a map. A map is a type of Excel chart. To represent any data about states or provinces we can use the map in Excel. Also, we can indicate a state, airport, university, or any specific position on a map by plotting the latitude and longitude points in Excel. So, without further delay, let’s start the discussion.
How to Plot Points on a Map in Excel: 2 Effective Ways
1. Plot Points on a Map Using Excel 3D Map Feature
In Excel, we can plot points on a map using the 3D Map feature very easily. This 3D Map feature is an excellent tool to visualize geographical data in a modern way.
Here, in the first dataset, you can see the information about the latitude and longitude of some states. We will plot these points and indicate the position of the states on a map in Excel.
Let’s observe the steps to learn the whole technique.
- First of all, select all cells of the dataset.
- Next, go to the Insert tab, select 3D Map, and then, select Open 3D Maps.
- After selecting Open 3D Maps, you will see the map with points in a new window.
- The map is automatically updated because Excel understood the dataset clearly. You can see that from the Location box.
- But if it’s not updated automatically, then you need to add the latitude and longitude fields.
- To do so, navigate to the Location box and click on the plus (+) icon.
- Then, select Latitude.
- After that, click on Select One and select Latitude from the drop-down menu.
- Next, follow the same procedure to add Longitude.
- After adding Latitude and Longitude, the Location box will look like below.
- On the other hand, the map will look like this. You can see the points of the states on the map.
- In the following step, select ‘Change the visualization to Bubble’ and add States in the Category section.
- Instantly, the points will get bigger and each point will show a different color.
- To resize the points, expand the Layer Options menu.
- Decrease the size of the bubbles using the Size option.
- As a result, your map will look like the screenshot below.
- If you place the cursor on a point, you will be able to see the information.
- Finally, turn on the ‘Map Labels‘ option to see the map with the name of the states.
Read More: How to Create a Map in Excel
2. Use Map Option to Plot Points in Excel
Another way to plot points on a map is to use the Map option from the Charts section of Excel. Using the Map option, you can create a 2D map. Although, we saw a 3D map in the previous section. You can also use this method to create a map in Excel. Both are quite similar.
Here, we have collected information about the population change in the percentage of some states. We will try to show the population change on a map using the Map option.
So, without any more discussion, let’s demonstrate the method using some simple steps.
- In the first place, select a cell in the dataset and press Ctrl + A. It will select all the used cells in the worksheet.
- Alternatively, you can use the mouse to select all cells of your dataset.
- In the second step, go to the Insert tab and select Map. It will open a drop-down menu.
- Select the Filled Map icon from there.
- As a result, you will see the map on the Excel sheet.
- Now, change the Chart Title to make the map more understandable.
- After that, click on the map, and a plus (+) icon will appear.
- Check Data Labels from there.
- In the following step, put the cursor at the bottom left point of the map and the cursor will change into a double-headed arrow.
- Using this, expand or resize the map according to your needs.
- In the end, you will see the data points of population change on the map.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
In this article, we have demonstrated 2 easy methods to Plot Points on a Map in Excel. I hope these methods will help you to perform your tasks easily. Moreover, you can use the same methods to create a map in Excel. Furthermore, we have also added the practice book at the beginning of the article. To test your skills, you can download it to exercise. Last of all, if you have any suggestions or queries, feel free to ask in the comment section below.