In certain circumstances, we have to add weeks to a date. Like when you confirm an order for buying something online at a specific date, the company tells you that they will send the order after 8 weeks or 12 weeks. You might easily calculate the desired date using Excel in such a situation. In this article, we will show how to add weeks to a date in Excel in 4 effective ways.
Download the Practice Workbook
4 Simple Methods to Add Weeks to a Date in Excel
In this article, we will discuss 4 ways to add weeks to dates. Firstly, we will use a simple arithmetic formulation. Secondly, we will apply the DATE function to do so. Thirdly, we will use the SUM function to add weeks. Finally, we will resort to the Paste Special command to add weeks to a date in Excel. We see a dataset in the following figure where the order ID, its date, and a number of weeks to add are given. Right away, we have to find out the date after adding the number of weeks.
1. Using Simple Arithmetic Formula
In this method, we will use simple arithmetic addition to add weeks to a date. We will multiply the weeks by 7 to make them days. And then, we will add the days to a particular day. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Firstly, select the E5 cell and write down the following formula,
- Then, hit Enter.
- Consequently, we will see that the weeks are added to that date.
- Lower the cursor down to the last data cell to autofill the cells.
2. Using the DATE Function
The DATE function takes 3 arguments representing year, month and day. Then, it combines them to form a date. In this method, we will use this function in combination with the YEAR, MONTH and DAY functions to add weeks to a date.
- Firstly, select the E5 cell and type the formula below,
- Then, press Enter.
- As a result, we will have a new date.
- Finally, move the cursor to the last data cell to autofill the cells accordingly.
- DAY(C5)+7*D5: The DAY function takes out the day value of the date in the C5 cell. This will be 1. Then, the (7*D5) value or 35 days will be added to that date.
- YEAR(C5),MONTH(C5): The YEAR function refers to the year in the date in the C5 cell, which will be 2021. The MONTH function will return 6 as the number of the month in the date in the C5 cell.
- DATE(YEAR(C5),MONTH(C5),DAY(C5)+7*D5): Finally, the DATE function combines all the values returned by the YEAR, MONTH, and DAY functions. It also considers the addition at the end of the day’s value. Finally, it produces a date accordingly.
3. Applying SUM Function
In this instance, we will use the SUM function to do the trick. Firstly, we will convert the weeks into days by multiplying them with 7 and then use the SUM function to sum the existing date to the calculated days.
- To begin with, select the E5 cell and write the following formula down,
- Then, hit the Enter button.
- As a result, we will get the new date from addition of weeks to the previous date.
- Finally, lower the cursor to autofill the rest of the cells.
➥ Read More: How to Add 7 Days to a Date in Excel (3 Methods)
4. Utilizing Paste Special Option
The Paste Special command lets users to paste a particular text, picture or other objects according to their preferences. In this method, we will use this command to add weeks to a particular date. To do so, first, we will multiply the weeks by 7 to convert them into days and then, use the Paste Special command to add them to a particular date. Follow the ensuing steps to do so.
- Firstly, select the C5 cell and press Ctrl + C to copy the date.
- Then, press Ctrl+V to paste the date in the F5 cell.
- After that, first, copy the value in the E5 cell using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C.
- Secondly, select the F5 cell and right-click on it.
- Thirdly, from the available options, select Paste Special.
- Consequently, a prompt will appear.
- From the prompt, first, select Values under the Paste option.
- Then, choose to Add as Operation.
- Finally, click OK.
- Consequently, the weeks will be added to the date.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the data cells.
So, these are all the ways that we have talked about to add weeks to a date in excel. I strongly believe that these might be helpful for you. Whatever, if you have any opinions and comments, please write here below.
- How to Add Months to a Date in Excel (2 Ways)
- How to Add 30 Days to a Date in Excel (7 Quick Methods)
- How to Add Dates in Excel Automatically
- Excel Add Months to Date (4 Easiest Examples)
- Add Days to Date Using Excel Formula
- How to Add/Subtract Years to a Date in Excel
- Add days to date in Excel excluding weekends and holidays (4 ways)