While working with Microsoft Excel, there are a variety of unanticipated events that might result in our data being completely lost, such as a system crash, a computer being stolen, a hard drive failing, or even a natural disaster. Backing up files and folders is the greatest approach to keep data secure. Whenever we make a file backup, you’re storing duplicates of an essential system. In this article, we will demonstrate different effective methods to find excel backup files.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
5 Easy Methods to Find Backup Files in Excel
The primary goal of data backup is to protect essential information in the case of a system crash or hard disk malfunction. If the initial backups result in data damage or hard disk failure, further data backups should be made.
Let’s pretend I have created a fresh Excel worksheet (Book1). In Sheet1 of the spreadsheet, we stored some information about data of some students’ marks. Now, assume that our computer is turned off for some reason or we shut down the computer without saving the Excel file. But we need that mark record. So, we need to find the Excel backup Files. Let’s see the approach to do this.
1. Get Excel Backup Files from ‘Recover Unsaved Workbook’ Feature
To find the Excel backup files to recover an unsaved excel file, we need to follow some procedures. Let’s look at the procedures down.
- First, make a new workbook in Excel.
- Secondly, navigate to the File tab.
- Thirdly, select Open from the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on the Recent workbook option at the top left.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click the Recover Unsaved Workbook button.
- This will appear in a Document Recovery window.
- As a result, Excel will display the files that have not been saved.
- And, that’s it! By just following the above steps, we will be able to find the backup files in excel.
2. Use ‘Manage Workbook’ Option to Find Excel Backup Files
Workbook Manager creates a database of all open Excel documents so we may simply browse through them. We can find excel backup files from the Manage Workbook option in excel. For this let’s see the steps down.
- Similar to before, first, open excel.
- Then, go to the File tab from the ribbon.
- Next, click on the Info option.
- Then, click ok the Manage Workbook drop-down menu bar.
- And, select Recover Unsaved Workbooks.
- Likewise the previous method in the Document Recovery window, the file will appear.
- That’s all! You will be able to find the backup excel files by following the steps.
- How to Recover Corrupted Excel Files from USB (4 Quick Methods)
- How to Recover File after Crash in Excel (4 Methods)
- Undo Changes in Excel after Save and Close (2 Easy Methods)
- How to Recover Corrupted Excel File (8 Possible Ways)
3. Excel ‘Version History’ Feature to Find Backup Files
Excel Version History keeps track of the modifications made to our documents over the course of their existence. Version History, in particular, allows us to access older copies of our files and displays the amount of each edition, the volume of each version, and also who and when each edition was made. We can maintain track of all the many versions of workbooks you’ve stored over time with Excel Version History. Let’s see how we can find excel backup files with this.
- In the first place, as similar as before, open the excel document.
- Next, go to the File tab.
- Then, go to the Info option.
- Scroll down a bit, you will see Version History.
- Now, click on that Version History.
- This will navigate the Version History window.
- And, finally, by just following the above steps, you will detect your backup files in excel from Version History.
4. Search for Backup Files in Excel File History
We can also obtain the excel backup files from our File History. Let’s see how we can use our File History to obtain excel backup files.
- To begin with, go to your window search bar.
- Then, type restore file.
- Press Enter to proceed.
- After that, you will see Restore your files with the File History option.
- Click on that and you will be able to perceive the backup Excel files.
- In the end, we can discover the backup files in Excel by simply following the procedures above.
5. Find Excel Backup Files on OneDrive
If you have your personal OneDrive logged in on your excel file. You will be able to discover the excel backup files from there. Let’s see where we can locate the backup files on OneDrive.
- To begin, open Excel and create a new worksheet.
- The second step is to go to the File tab.
- After that, from the drop-down option, choose Open.
- Now, from the Shared with Me option, you will see OneDriveB Personal.
- Click on OneDrive.
- This will take you to the file location where your backup file is located.
- Finally, we can discover the backup files in Excel by simply following the procedures above.
The above steps will assist you to find Excel Backup files. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section. Or you can have a glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy.com blog!
- How to Recover Overwritten Excel File with No Previous Version
- [Fixed:] Unsaved Excel File Not in Recovery
- How to Recover Permanently Deleted Excel Files Online
- Recover Previous Version of Excel File (4 Easy Ways)
- How to Recover Excel File Password (2 Easy Ways)
- Recover a Deleted Excel File (5 Effective Ways)