The Sunburst Chart in Excel is generally used for displaying hierarchical data. Each ring of the chart represents each level of the hierarchy. The data in a sunburst chart are sorted in an order that the largest value appears first and then it is arranged from largest to smallest amount clockwise. There is no way you can change this order as it is a default characteristic of this chart. But you can sort the order of the data that is used for the Excel Sunburst Chart. The focus of this article is to explain this.
Sort Sunburst Chart Order in Excel: 2 Ideal Examples
In this article, I will explain 2 different examples of how you can sort Excel Sunburst Chart order. Here, I have taken the following dataset for this article. It contains 3 columns, State, Product, and Sales. I will show you how you can create a Sunburst Chart and sort the order in Excel.
1. Sort Sunburst Chart Order Alphabetically in Excel
In this example, I will sort the order of data of a Sunburst Chart in Excel alphabetically. You can do it quite easily. Let’s see the steps.
Step-01: Insert Sunburst Chart
In this step, I will insert the Sunburst Chart in Excel.
- Firstly, select the data range for the chart.
- Secondly, go to the Insert tab from the Ribbon.
- Thirdly, select Insert Hierarchy Chart.
- Then, select Sunburst from the drop-down menu.
- Now, you will see a Sunburst Chart will be inserted. The inner ring represents the highest level of the hierarchy.
- In the following image, you can see how my chart looks at this stage.
Step-02: Sort Sunburst Chart Order
Now, I will sort the data range alphabetically.
- In the beginning, select the data range. Here, I selected cell range B4:D14.
- Then, right-click on the selected range.
- After that, select Sort.
- Next, select Sort A to Z.
- Further, if you look at the legends, you will see that they are rearranged accordingly. However, the order of data in the ring still remains the same because this is a must for a Sunburst Chart.
2. Use Custom Sort to Change Sunburst Chart Order in Excel
In this example, I will use a Custom list to sort the data in the data range so that it matches the order of the Sunburst Chart. I have taken the following dataset for this example. It contains Sales Person, Week, and Sales.
Let’s see how you can sort Excel Sunburst Chart order for this example.
- To begin with, insert a Sunburst Chart by following Step-01 from Example-01.
- Here, you can see that the order of data in the data range and in the chart do not match.
- After that, select the data range.
- Then, go to the Data tab.
- After that, select Sort.
- Next, the Sort dialog box will appear.
- Click on the drop-down button for Sort by.
- Then, select the column by which you want to sort. Here, I selected Sales Person.
- Afterward, click on the drop-down option for Order.
- Next, select Custom List…
- Then, the Custom Lists dialog box will appear.
- Write the sort order in the List entries section.
- After that, select OK.
- Now, the order will be added to the Sort dialog box.
- Finally, select OK.
- After that, you will see that the data order in the range and in the Sunburst Chart match.
How to Rotate Sunburst Chart in Excel
You can not rotate a Sunburst Chart in Excel. But, you can use the Camera tool to take an image of the chart and then rotate it. In this section, I will show you how you can do this. I have taken the following dataset to explain this section.
Step-01: Add Camera Tool in Quick Access Toolbar
In this step, I will show you how you can add the Camera tool to the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Firstly, click on the Customize Quick Access Toolbar button.
- Secondly, select More Commands…
- Thirdly, the Excel Options dialog box will appear.
- Then, click on the drop-down option for the choose command from section.
- Next, select All Commands.
- Afterward, select Camera.
- Then, select Add.
- Next, the Camera tool will be added to the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Finally, select OK.
Step-02: Rotate the Sunburst Chart Using the Camera Tool
Now, I will show you how you can use the Camera tool to rotate the Sunburst Chart in Excel.
- First, select the cells behind the Sunburst Chart.
- Then, select the Camera tool.
- After that, you will see that you have selected the area.
- Then, press Enter.
- Finally, you will get an image of the Sunburst Chart.
- After that, you can select and rotate the marked button in the following picture and rotate the chart.
- In the following image, you can see that I have rotated the Sunburst Chart according to my preference.
Here, I have provided a practice sheet for you to practice sorting the Excel Sunburst Chart order.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
To conclude, I tried to explain how you can sort the order of a Sunburst Chart in Excel. Here, I explained 2 different examples. Also, I explained how you can rotate a Sunburst Chart. I hope this article was helpful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know in the comment section below.