This article illustrates how to create the employee leave record in the proper format in excel. If you are working in the HR department, you will most probably need to keep track of the employee leave record. Fortunately, Excel can help you to do that efficiently. You will need a properly formatted worksheet for the employee leave record to do that. This article will help you to create one to serve that purpose.
Download Sample Workbook
You can download the free template from the download button below.
Steps to Create Employee Leave Record Format in Excel
Follow the steps below to create your employee leave record in the desired format in excel.
📌 Step 1: Set Leave Types and Months
- First, you need to make a list of the leave types that you allow to your employees. Using a short code for each type will be convenient to choose. The following picture will give you an example.
- Then, you need to create a list of months. You will record the leaves taken by each employee on each of these months.
- Let’s start with the first month of 2022. Enter the dates 1-Jan-2022 and 1-Feb-2022 in cells E5 and E6 Then select cells E5:E6 and drag the Fill Handle icon. Excel will understand that you are trying to create a series with one month increment. So, you will see the month of the date increase. Drag the icon until it reaches the desired month. Here, we will drag until 1-Dec-22 for illustration.
- After that, you will get the following result.
- Now, keep the dates selected. Then, press CTRL+1 to open the Format Cells dialog box. Next, use mmm-yyyy as the Custom Number Format for the dates. Then, press OK.
- After that, you will get the following result.
Read More: Sample Excel File with Employee Data for Practice
📌 Step 2: Set Months Drop-Down with ComboBox
- Now create a new worksheet (LeaveRecord). Assume you want to enter the employee names and their IDs in column B and column C respectively.
- Next, go to the Developer tab and select Insert >> Combo Box (Form Control).
- Then, drag the mouse around cell C4 as required to resize the Combo Box. You can choose another location for it if needed.
- After that, you will see the Combo Box inserted as follows. Put the cursor on the small circles and drag your mouse to resize the Combo Box if needed.
- Now, right-click on the Combo Box and select Format Control.
- Then go to the control tab in the Format Object dialog box. Next, click on the upward arrow in the Input range and select all the months generated earlier in the DatesLeaves After that, use the upward arrow in the Cell link to select cell B3 in the current worksheet (LeaveRecord).
- Then, go to the Properties tab and mark the radio button for “Don’t move or size will cells”. Next, press OK.
- Now, you can select any month of the list using the dropdown. Cell B3 will show the order of the selection.
Read More: Employee Monthly Leave Record Format in Excel (with Free Template)
📌 Step 3: Generate Dates and Days for Selected Month
- Next, enter the following formula in cell C3. The INDEX function returns the date from the list of months based on the order of selection in cell B3.
- Then, format cell C3 as d-mmm. After that, enter the following formula in cell D4.
- Next, select cells B3:C3 and change the font color to white.
- Now, enter the following formula in cell D5. Here the TEXT function converts the value to a text in the specific number format.
- After that, apply the following formula in cell E4. Here the EOMONTH function returns the serial number of the last day of the month before or after the specified number of months.
- Then, copy the formula in cell D5 to cell E5 by dragging the fill handle icon.
- Next, change the text alignment of cells D4:D5 to vertical. You can also do that from the Alignment tab in the Format Cells (CTRL+1) dialog box.
- Now select cells E4:E5 and apply the same alignment. Then drag the fill handle icon up to column AH to copy the formulas. After that, you will get the following result.
📌 Step 4: Create Drop-Down to Record Leaves
- Next, select the range D6:AH10. Then, select Data >> Data Validation (ALT+A+V+V).
- After that, select List as the Validation criteria. Then, click on the upward arrow in the Source field and select the sort codes for the leave types. Click OK after that.
- Now, you can choose the leave type using the dropdowns in any of those cells.
Read More: How to Create Leave Tracker in Excel (Download Free Template)
📌 Step 5: Enter Formula to Count Leaves
- Then, copy the table for Leave Types and paste it as Transpose onto cell AI4. Next, enter the following formula in cell AI6. Now, drag the fill handle icon to cell AM6 and then to cell AM10. The COUNTIF function counts the cells based on the specified criteria.
- Next, enter the following formula in cell AN6. After that, copy the formula down to the cells below.
Read More: How to Calculate Leave Balance in Excel (with Detailed Steps)
📌 Step 6: Format Cells to Hide Zeros
- Now, select the range AI6:AN10. Then, select Conditional Formatting >> New Rule from the Home tab.
- Next, select the “Format only cells that contain” rule. Then select Cell Value >> equal to and enter a 0. Click on Format after that.
- Now change the font color to white. Then, click OK.
- Then, click OK again.
- Finally, start recording the leaves taken by your employees to see the following result
Things to Remember
- Be careful while entering the formulas with mixed references to avoid erroneous results.
- You can include more rows to record data for more employees.
Now you know how to create the employee leave record in the desired format in excel. Do you have any further queries or suggestions? Please let us know in the comment section below. You can also visit our ExcelDemy blog to explore more about excel. Stay with us and keep learning.
hi good afternoon. the excel leave tracker is very useful but how to add in another column to show the employee’s leave balance and entitlement.
Hello V SHANTHI,
First of all, thanks for your appreciation. Now, let’s get back to your query. Here, you wanted to add a new column for showing the leave balance of employees. If you want to do this on a monthly basis, follow the steps below.
• At first, create a new column with the heading Leave Balance under Column AO.
• Then, go to cell AO6 and enter the following formula.
Here, we assumed 4 leaves can be taken in a month. It could be changed according to your need.
• After that, press the ENTER button.
• Now, bring your cursor to the right-bottom corner of cell AO6 and it’ll look like a plus (+) sign. It’s the Fill Handle tool.
• Afterward, double-click on it.
You can see the results in the following cells also.
On the other hand, if you find out the employee leave balance or remaining leaves on a yearly basis, you can follow the article How to Track Employee Vacation Time in Excel on our website.
So, that’s all from me on this topic. Please visit our website, ExcelDemy, to explore more. Happy Excelling.
Hi, Shamim raza
based on the above formula’s I create a template it is good, but i have one doubt when we change the months, that leave record doesn’t change, when we add next month leaves its overlap, please give a suggetion for that
You can duplicate the months below the first month for multiple months’ data. Moreover, if you need to remove the values, you can just click the cell range and hit the Delete button. I have added the leave record format for four months in the following file. This can be found on the LeaveReord sheet.
Leave Record for User
So we will have to create separately for each month?
Thanks for your query. I have analyzed the workbook Rafiul Haq shared. A prominent approach to avoid data overlapping is to create the employee record separately for each month. So don’t hesitate to make the Employee Leave description for each month.
Lutfor Rahman Shimanto
need 2023 leave record excel
Thank you for your comment.
To create a leave record for 2023 in Excel you can follow the steps given in the article with some little changes.
• First of all, insert 1-Jan-2023 and 1-Feb-2023 in Cell E5 and E6.
• Then, drag the icon until it reaches the desired month. Here, we will drag until 1-Dec-23 for illustration.
• Next, you will get the following result.
• After that, follow the same steps shown in the article and you will be able to create a leave record for 2023.
We hope this will solve your problem. Please let us know if you face any further problems.
how to record half day casual leave ?
Thank you for your comment.
If you want to make a recorder for only half-day casual leave, you can use the same template in this article. In this case, each “1” will be a half-day leave. And the total will imply a total half day’s leave. Change the header for your needs.
Also, for better reach, you can review the following article to record a half-day casual leave.
Afia Aziz Kona