If you are looking for how to create a fillable PDF form from Excel, then you have come to the right place. Today, in this article, I’m going to tell you how to create a fillable PDF form from Excel. Basically, for survey purposes or to gather the information you may want to use a PDF form. Actually, if you want to use a printed copy for filling up that one manually like using a pen or pencil, then this article will help you the most.
Furthermore, for conducting the session, I will use Microsoft 365 version.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here:
2 Methods to Create a Fillable PDF from Excel
Here, I will demonstrate 2 suitable methods with detailed steps to create a fillable PDF form from Excel. Basically, I will show you both the manual process and the use of an Excel template to create a form in Excel and then convert them into a PDF file.
1. Manually Create a Fillable PDF Form Using Excel
Now, let’s see the manual process for creating a fillable form. Here, for your better understanding, I’m going to create a form to get the student information for an Institute.
📌 Step 1: Create a Fillable Form in Excel
In this section, I will create the form. So, follow the process given below.
- Firstly, write down all the information that you want to keep in your form. Here, you must write the information by following an orientation. Moreover, you have to keep enough space to fill in the details with the writers.
Here, you may see the following image. Where I have tried to show you a pattern.
- Now, select cells C5:J5.
- Then, from the Home tab >> choose Merge & Center.
- Then, select that title cell and from the Home tab >> go to Borders.
- After that, choose Thick Outside Borders.
In the below, you can see how I have organized the title cell (Student Information) of the form.
- Similarly, choose the Thick Outside Borders for the other cell values.
- Then, compress the gap between the two cells by changing the row’s height and column’s width.
- After that, from the Insert tab >> go to Shapes >> then select Rectangles.
- Subsequently, you will see a cursor point. So, move that cursor, and where you need a box, set the rectangle there.
- Then, click on the Shape.
As a result, you will see a new contextual design tab named Shape Format. With the help of this Shape Format tab, you can change the shape color.
Finally, I have created the form in Excel.
Now, I will add some colors to the form to look good.
- So, select those cells where you want to add color.
- Then, from the Home tab >> go to Fill Color.
- Then, choose your preferable color. Here, try to select a light color otherwise you may not get the filled information.
Lastly, your form is ready to convert into a PDF.
📌 Step 2: Convert Excel File into PDF
In this section, I will convert the Excel file into a PDF file. Let’s see the steps.
- Firstly, go to the File tab.
At this time, a new window will appear.
- Then, go to the Save As option.
- Now, from the drop-down arrow >> choose PDF (*.pdf) extension.
- Then, click on the Save button.
Lastly, you will see your fillable PDF form.
Moreover, you can fill the form without any printed copy. To do so, you have to use any PDF editor. However, you can edit that form in Foxit PDF Reader too.
- Here, from the Home tab >> click on Typewriter.
- After that, click on the spaces where you want to insert information.
Below, I have attached the edited PDF. Here, I have inserted a Student ID. The A+ denotes the Font Size increment, and A- denotes the Font Size decrement.
- How to Create Excel Sheet from Google Form (2 Useful Methods)
- How to Design Form in Excel (2 Suitable Examples)
- Automatically Insert Timestamp Data Entries in Excel (5 Methods)
- How to Populate an Excel Spreadsheet from a Web Form
- How to Create a Data Log in Excel (2 Suitable Ways)
2. Use of Excel Template to Create a Fillable PDF
The most interesting part is that Excel has its own templates with which you can make your preferable fillable form. Moreover, those templates are so handy to edit. So, you can easily convert them into your own needed form. Now, let’s talk about how you will get the template.
- Firstly, open an Excel workbook.
- Secondly, go to the File tab from the top ribbon.
- Thirdly, from the New menu >> choose More templates.
At this time, you will find an option named Search for online templates.
- Then, write “form” in that search box.
As a result, you will find a lot of templates related to fillable forms.
- Now, choose a form that will be nearly close to your target one. Here, you also may find your target form as an Excel template too. As I wanted to make a form for student information, so I have chosen the Sports team roster as my form.
- Then, press the Create button.
Following, I have attached that template.
Below, I have attached my own format. As you can see, all those cells were editable so, I have converted that Team roster form to student information.
- Then, follow Step-2 of the previous method and convert your Excel file to PDF file.
Lastly, you will be able to see your fillable PDF form.
💬 Things to Remember
- Here, the manual process is totally up to you. You can create your own form according to your choice. But you must keep space for the writers to fill that form.
- Furthermore, for the Excel templates, you must use the internet.
I hope you found this article helpful. Here, I have explained 2 suitable methods to create a Fillable PDF from Excel. You can visit our website Exceldemy to learn more Excel-related content. Please, drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- How to Create an Excel Data Entry Form without a UserForm
- Automate Data Entry in Excel (2 Effective Ways)
- How to Restrict Data Entry in Excel Cell (2 Simple Methods)
- Create a Printable Form in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- How to Check for Data Entry Errors in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
- How to Record Time of Data Entry in Excel (2 Effective Ways)