To add space between rows, we need to insert blank cells between them. We can do it manually by right-clicking, pressing the keyboard shortcut, or using the Ribbon menu. But all these take a lot of time. In this article, we are going to learn some easy steps to add space between rows in Excel.
How to Add Space between Rows in Excel: 2 Easy Steps
1. Excel Sort Tool to Add Space between Rows
For data management, the Sort tool is one of the important and common tools. Assuming we have a dataset (B4:D9) of the employee names and their total working week along with the working hours per week. We are going to add a space between the rows.
- First, we need a helping column (E5:E9) adjacent to the dataset.
- Next, fill a series of numbers (1,2,…..,5) in that range (E5:E9).
- Now select the range (E5:E9), copy it, and paste it at the bottom of the last cell.
- Then select all the series numbers.
- After that, go to the Data tab.
- Click on the A to Z sorting option from the Sort & Filter section.
- Here a small box pops up.
- Then select ‘Expand the selection’.
- Finally, click on the Sort.
- We can see that the spaces are added between the rows.
- We can delete the helping column with the series of numbers and make the dataset suitable to use.
2. Excel VBA Code to Insert Space between Rows
Microsoft Visual Basic for Application can also help us in adding space between rows. Let’s say we have a dataset (B4:D9) of employee names with their working weeks and hours.
- Select the worksheet at first from the sheet tab.
- Now right-click on it.
- Select View Code.
- A Microsoft Visual Basic for Application module pops up. We can press the Alt+F11 keys for it as a keyboard shortcut.
- Then type the code:
Option Explicit Sub AddSpaceBetweenRows() Dim rng As Range Dim i As Long Set rng = Range("B5:E9") For i = rng.Rows.Count To 2 Step -1 rng.Rows(i).EntireRow.Insert Next i End Sub
- Later select the Run option or press the F5 key.
- At last, go to the worksheet and we can see that the added space between rows.
Read More: How to Space Rows Evenly in Excel
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook and exercise.
These are the quickest ways to add space between rows in Excel. There is a practice workbook added. Go ahead and give it a try. Feel free to ask anything or suggest any new methods.