A tick mark or checkmark is a symbol inserted into a cell to confirm something or show that something is applicable. This article shows you 7 useful ways how to insert a tick mark in Excel.
So, let’s start.
Download Practice Workbook
7 Ways to Insert Tick Mark in Excel
In this section, we’ll show you 7 useful methods including VBA to insert tick marks in Excel. So, without further delay, let’s see each method one by one.
1. Adding Tick Mark with ASCII Characters on Microsoft Notepad
You can insert a checkmark using Microsoft Notepad by following these easy steps.
- Firstly, open Microsoft Notepad.
- Then, press & hold the ALT key and use the keyboard number pad to type the number 251.
- Finally, copy this tick mark and paste it into Microsoft Excel.
2. Using Keyboard Shortcuts to Insert Tick Mark
Wouldn’t it be great if there were keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Excel to insert tick marks? Well, you’re in luck because our next is the answer to this question. Here, we have a dataset of daily tasks and their status (completed or not).
Step 01: Cell Selection
- At first, select the cells you want to insert the tick mark. Here, I selected the C5.
Step 02: Changing the Font
- Secondly, change the font in the selected cell to Wingdings 2.
Step 03: Using the Keyboard Shortcuts
- Next, the keyboard shortcuts for inserting tick marks and cross marks are shown below.
- Now, press SHIFT + P and ENTER to get a tick mark in the selected cell. Similarly, SHIFT + O will give a cross mark.
However, you can apply a similar process with other fonts to get tick marks in Excel.
For example, the Wingdings font can also be used to insert tick marks, checkboxes, cross marks & cross boxes.
Similarly, the Webdings font can be used to insert tick marks & cross marks.
- How to Insert Greater Than or Equal to Symbol in Excel (5 Quick Methods)
- Insert square root symbol in Excel (7 easy ways)
- How to Insert Less Than or Equal to Symbol in Excel (5 Quick Methods)
- Type Minus Sign in Excel Without Formula (6 Simple Methods)
3. Using Symbol Dialog Box to Add a Tick Mark
Another way to insert a tick mark is to use Excel’s Symbol dialog box in the Insert ribbon.
Step 01: Selecting the Cells
- Firstly, select the cell you want to insert the tick mark. I have selected cell (C5) in the example.
- Then, click the Insert tab, located at the top-left corner beside the Home tab.
- Lastly, locate the Symbols tab at the top-right corner.
Step 02: Choosing Font and Character Code
- Secondly, click the Symbols A dialog box appears.
- Then, change the font to Wingdings.
- Additionally, type in the 252 in the character code box and click Insert to close the dialog box.
Eventually, Excel shows you a tick mark in the selected cell.
Now, you’re ready to copy and paste the symbol for inserting tick marks into other cells.
Likewise, you can use the Segoe UI symbol font to get tick marks in Excel. The Segoe UI symbol also allows you to insert a tick mark without the need to change the default fonts in the cell.
The inserting process is similar to that above. In the Character code box, just type in 2714.
Subsequently, you’ll get the following tick marks.
4. Inserting a Tick Mark with Excel CHAR Function
If you enjoy using Excel functions then a quick and easy way to insert a tick mark in an empty cell is by using the CHAR function. Now, allow me to demonstrate the process below.
Step 01: Altering the Font
- To begin with, select the cell you want to insert the tick mark. I have selected cell (C5) in the example.
- Now, change the font to Wingdings.
Step 02: Typing in the Character Codes
- Secondly, enter =CHAR(252) to insert a tick mark.
- Lastly, insert symbols using the CHAR codes from the table.
5. Using AutoCorrect Feature to Insert a Tick Mark
You can use Excel’s built-in AutoCorrect feature to correct misspelled words, which can handle the most common errors.
Step 01: Go to the File Tab and Select Options
- In the first place, locate and click the File tab.
- Click on the Options tab.
Step 02: Proofing and AutoCorrect Options
- Secondly, in the Options dialog box, select Proofing
- Later, click on the AutoCorrect Options
- A dialog box appears:
- Replace: CMARK
- With: ✔
- Finally, click on Add and close the dialog box with OK.
- Cells containing CMARK will be replaced with tick mark ✔
- The autocorrect feature is case-sensitive. So, CMARK must be in all caps.
- All other applications in Microsoft Office are affected by this change.
- How to Insert Degree Symbol in Excel (6 Suitable Methods)
- Type Math Symbols in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
- How to Put Equal Sign in Excel without Formula (4 Easy Ways)
- Put a Plus Sign in Excel without Formula (3 Easy Methods)
- How to insert square root symbol in Excel (7 easy ways)
6. Applying Conditional Formatting to Insert a Tick Mark
To insert a tick mark or checkmark based on the value of a cell, you can use Conditional formatting.
To describe our next method, we have a dataset of names and their corresponding sales. Here, we want to know which employees meet the sales target of $3000.
Let’s say, we insert a tick mark for sales above $3000 and a cross mark for sales below $3000.
Just follow these steps to do the task.
Step 01: Creating a Copy of the Cell
- Initially, enter =C5 in the cell (D5). This means that if the values in column C change column D will be updated automatically.
- In the next step, use the Fill Handle tool to populate the table.
Step 02: Navigating to Conditional Formatting
- Secondly, select all the cells in the column.
- Then, in the Home tab locate and click Conditional Formatting.
- Next, select the New Rule option.
Step 03: Applying New Rule
- Thirdly, a dialog box for New Formatting Rule appears.
- Moreover, click the Format Style dropdown and choose Icon Sets.
Step 04: Choosing Icon Sets
- In the next step, select the tick mark and cross mark style.
- As a note, remember to check the Show Icon Only.
Step 05: Providing the Condition
- In the final step, change the exclamation mark to a cross mark by clicking the dropdown.
- Then, change the Type from Percent to Number.
- Lastly, set the Value accordingly and click OK.
Eventually, completing these steps will insert a tick mark where the Sales exceeds $3000 and a cross mark where Sales fall below $3000.
In this example, we have used tick marks and cross marks. Likewise, we can also use exclamation marks.
7. Using VBA to Add a Tick Mark
If you often need to insert a tick mark or remove it, you may consider the VBA code shown below. This code allows you to insert a tick mark or remove it just by double-clicking the mouse. It’s simple and easy just follow along.
Step 01: Navigating to VBA Code
- Initially, right-click on the worksheet where you want to set this function.
- Then, click on View Code.
Step 02: Locating the Worksheet
- In the second step, a new window appears where you can select the worksheet from the list on the left side.
- Then, on the right side write your code.
Step 03: Providing Command
- Thirdly, press the two dropdowns on the top right.
- Now, click on the first dropdown and change it to Worksheet.
- Similarly, click on the second dropdown and change it to BeforeDoubleClick.
Step 04: Giving VBA Code
- Finally, copy the code from here and paste it.
Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal ActiveCell As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If ActiveCell.Column = 3 And ActiveCell.Value <> Chr(214) Then With ActiveCell .Value = Chr(214) 'Required' .Font.Name = "Symbol" 'Required' .Font.FontStyle = "Regular" .Font.Size = 12 .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter End With ElseIf ActiveCell.Column = 3 And ActiveCell.Value = Chr(214) Then ActiveCell.ClearContents End If End Sub
- I have written the code to insert a tick mark on Column C which is shown as Column = 3, if you wish you can change this according to your need.
- Moreover, close the windows and return back to the worksheet.
- Now, double press on the cells to insert a tick mark.
- Similarly, double press on the cells again to remove a tick mark.
In this article, I have tried to summarise a handful of simple and quick ways to insert a tick mark in excel. Take a tour of the practice workbook and download the file to practice by yourself. Hope you find it useful. Please inform us in the comment section about your experience. We, the Exceldemy team, are always responsive to your queries. Stay tuned and keep learning.