Excel offers multiple Format Cells Categories for displaying numbers. Users need to select specific number categories (i.e., Currency, Accounting, or Custom) to display them as Currency. However, aligning those inserted currency symbols requires amounts to be in Accounting, Custom, or aligned Currency format. This article demonstrates the ways to align currency symbol in Excel.
Download Excel Workbook
Download the attached dataset to practice.
3 Easy Ways to Align Currency Symbol in Excel
Go through the below section to learn more about currency symbol alignment.
Method 1: Using Accounting Number Format to Align Currency Symbol
In the Format Cells (CTRL+1 or click on the Number Format Icon) window, there are two dedicated Categories (i.e., Currency and Accounting) to display numbers in currencies with currency symbols before them. But displaying numbers in Accounting number format aligns currency symbols to the left.
- Highlight the range or cell then select Accounting as Number Format from the Number Format Display.
- Alternatively, use CTRL+1 to fetch the Format Cells window, choose Accounting from the Number Category. Assigning numbers as Accounting aligns the currency symbol.
- The outcome of both operations is the same. Excel aligns the currency symbols.
Read More: How to Align Columns in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- How to Align Colon in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- Align Text in Excel (3 Quick Methods)
- How to Left Align in Excel (3 Handy Ways)
- Align Shapes in Excel (5 Simple Methods)
- How to Change Alignment to the Right in Excel (5 Quick Methods)
Method 2: Inserting Custom Number Format in Format Cells Window
In the Format Cells window, users can use custom number formats by inserting appropriate characters.
- Type the below number format under Type in Format Cells > Custom.
_($* #,##0.00_);_($* (#,##0.00);_($* ""-""??_);_(@_)
- The consequences of customizing the number format results in aligning the currency symbol.
Read More: How to Change Alignment in Excel (5 Easy Methods)
Method 3: Selecting Preferable Alignment for Aligning Currency Symbol
Numbers in Currency format are displayed with the preferred currency symbol. Aligning them using the Home > Alignment results in the Left, Right, and Center alignment of the currency symbol.
- After displaying the numbers in Currency format align the number Left, Right, or Center using the Alignment section of the Home
- All the alignment options result in the following depiction. Select the Left alignment to align the currency symbol.
Read More: How to Change Date Alignment in Excel (8 Simple Methods)
This article demonstrates the ways to align currency symbol in Excel. Selecting the Accounting number format is preferred mostly to align the currency symbols. We hope this article sheds enough light upon the alignment of currency symbols.
Do check out our awesome website, Exceldemy, to find interesting articles on Excel.