While making reports or calculations in Excel, we often need to use percentage values. To convert percentage from fraction, we multiply the value by 100 and add the percentage symbol (%) after. But Excel will do it automatically if we can convert it to percentage format. This article will show you how to format a fraction into a percentage in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here:
2 Swift Methods to Format Fraction to Percentage in Excel
Suppose you have some data in fraction format and you need to convert the fractional numbers to percentage format in Excel. Here, I will show you 2 easy and quick methods to convert the fractional numbers to percentage format in Excel.
1. Convert Fraction to Percentage with Number Format Commands
Using number format commands is the simplest method to convert fractional numbers to percentage format in Excel. For this, follow these steps:
- First, select the cells in fraction formats.
- Then, go to the Home tab. And in the Number group, you will see an option in the percentage “%” symbol. Finally, select that option.
- Alternatively, you can find the Percentage format in the drop-down menu.
- For this, open the drop-down menu and select the Percentage option.
- Now, the cells in fractional format are in the percentage format.
- But, you may find a problem that the value in percentage format are integers and there are no decimal digits.
- But, you may need the decimal digits also. For this, select the cells again.
- And, go to Home > Number.
- Like the screenshot, you will see two options. The left one will increase the digits after the point and the right one will decrease the digits after the point.
- So, press on the left option two times to increase two digits after the decimal point.
- Finally, you will have the fractional values in the percentage format.
2. Use Custom Format Option
You can also use the Custom Format option to convert the fractional cells to the percentage format. Here, I will show the steps on how to use the Custom Format option to format fractions to percentages.
- As like before, select the cells first which will be converted to percentage format.
- Now, go to the Home tab and in the Number group, you will select the arrow in the bottom-right corner of the group.
- After that, a window will open named “Format Cells”.
- Now, in the Format Cells window, keep remaining in the Number tab.
- Then, select the Custom option from the Category.
- After that, input the format in the Type box that you want or select any options shown below the box. Here, you will the preview in the Sample box.
- Finally, press OK.
- As a result, you will see the cells of fractional numbers are in the percentage format.
Read More: How to Write a Fraction in Excel (4 Methods)
To conclude, here in this article, I have tried to show you 2 easy methods to format fractions to percentages in Excel. In addition, you can download the practice workbook for free. I believe, after reading this article, your all confusion will be solved regarding how to format fractions to percentages in Excel. I hope you found this article helpful. You can visit our website ExcelDemy to learn more Excel-related content. Please, drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.