Sometimes values look like numbers but don’t work like numbers as they can’t add up, multiply, etc. The numbers stored as the text will not work accordingly even if you change the format later. This tutorial will show 6 solutions to fix convert to number format error in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel template from here and practice on your own.
6 Ways to Fix Convert to Number Error in Excel
To describe the following methods, we’ll use the following dataset that represents some bestseller books at amazon.com. Have a look at the triangle-shaped green sign at the top-left corner of every cell in the Published Year column which indicates the error that numbers are stored as text. Now look forward to the following methods to solve this error.
1. Use Convert to Number Command
In our very first method, we’ll learn the easiest way to fix it.
- Select the cells C5:C9.
- Then you will get an error sign, ⚠ as shown below in the image, click on it.
- Later, select Convert to Number from the context menu.
Soon after, you will see that the problem is fixed.
Read more: How to Convert Date to Number in Excel
2. Apply Paste Special to Fix Convert to Number Error in Excel
The Paste Special command can handle the error smartly.
- Select any blank cell and copy it.
- After that, select the number containing cells.
- Right-click your mouse.
- Select Paste Special from the context menu.
Then a dialog box will open up.
- Mark Values from the Paste section and Add from the Operation section.
Then you will observe that the error signs are removed.
3. Text to Columns Wizard to Fix Convert to Number Error in Excel
If your values are along a column only then the Text to Columns Wizard can help you better. Let’s see how to apply it.
- Select the cells C5:C9 from the column.
- Then click as follows-
Data > Data Tools > Text to Columns.
- After appearing the Text to Columns Wizard dialog box nothing to do in the first step, just press Next.
- Same here in this step, nothing to do just press Next.
- In the third step, mark General from the Column data format section.
- Finally, just press Finish.
And now the error is successfully removed by the Text to Columns Wizard.
- Bulk Convert Text to Number in Excel (6 Ways)
- How to Convert Percentage to Number in Excel (5 Easy Ways)
- Convert Scientific Notation to Number in Excel (7 Methods)
- How to Convert String to Number in Excel VBA (3 Methods)
4. Use Excel VALUE Function to Fix Convert to Number Error
We can also fix the problem by using a function instead of a command in Excel. The VALUE function can help in this particular situation. To apply the VALUE function I have added a helper column right beside the number column. Now let’s try.
- Activate Cell D5.
- Type the following formula in it-
- Then hit the Enter button to get the output.
- Finally, drag down the Fill Handle icon to copy the formula for the other cells.
Now have a look that the VALUE function has removed the Convert to Number error completely.
5. Use Mathematical Operations in Excel to Fix Convert to Number Error
Some simple tricky mathematical operations can be used to fix the Convert to Number error. The trick is- just multiply or divide the values by 1. Also, you can add zero with the values and it will give you the same output. Here we’ll use the helper column too.
- In Cell D5 write the following formula-
- Then just press the Enter
Finally, to get the other outputs, just drag down the Fill Handle icon over the cells D6:D9.
Now the values are converted to numbers successfully.
6. Embed Excel VBA to Fix Convert to Number Error
In our last method, we’ll learn how to fix the Convert to Number error problem using VBA Macro.
- First, select the cells C5:C9.
- Then right-click on the sheet title.
- Then select View Code from the context menu.
Soon after a VBA window will open up.
- Write the following codes in it-
Sub Fix_ConvertToNumber() Dim y As Range On Error Resume Next Set y = Selection _ .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 23) On Error GoTo errHandler If Not y Is Nothing Then Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell) _ .Offset(0, 1).Copy y.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, _ Operation:=xlPasteSpecialOperationAdd Else MsgBox "Could not find any Constant" End If exitHandler: Application.CutCopyMode = False Set y = Nothing Exit Sub errHandler: MsgBox "Failed to change text to numbers" Resume exitHandler End Sub
Finally, just click the Run icon in the VBA window to run the codes.
Then you will see that the above codes have removed the Convert to Number error.
I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to fix the Convert to Number error in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.