You can use a treemap chart to show hierarchical data in a condensed visual format. A treemap can be quickly and easily created in Microsoft Excel. In this article, we will demonstrate how to create a treemap chart and change the treemap order in Excel.
Change Treemap Order in Excel: Step-by-Step Procedure
This article will show you how to create a treemap chart by using the Hierarchy chart option, and you will learn how to change the treemap order in Excel.
Step 1: Making Data Set with Proper Parameters
In this step, we will create our dataset, including some names and the personal expenses they incurred over the last three months.
- In order to create a chart, we will first create a dataset.
Read More: How to Make a Treemap Chart in Excel
Step 2: Utilizing Charts Group
Excel’s charts group provides a range of chart types. In particular, many charting tools enable users to visualize complex data in straightforward, graphical forms.
- Firstly, select the entire data set.
- Firstly, go to the Insert tab after selecting the data range from the given data set.
- Secondly, choose the Insert Hierarchy Chart from the Charts group.
- Thirdly, select the Treemap chart.
Step 3: Creating Excel Treemap Chart
A hierarchical chart is a treemap. It is used to visualize data that has been segmented at various levels. A treemap diagram illustrates how data is distributed among various segments and subsegments. Larger rectangles with different colors serve as representations of the data set’s top categories. Small rectangles represent the data’s subcategories. The contribution of the larger rectangle is indicated by its size.
- As a result, you will see the output graph below.
Step 4: Utilizing Chart Design Tab to Change Excel Treemap Order
In this section, we will demonstrate how to change the order of the Excel treemap by modifying the treemap with the help of the Chart Design tab.
- Firstly, right-click on the treemap chart.
- Then this given panel will open and you will see the different order treemap chart in the given below under the Chart Design tab.
- So, you can select any design for changing the treemap order. And we have selected one.
- Here, you will see that the mobile phone and Pendrive are in the upper section and the mouse is in the lower section.
- Here, we have shown another treemap order.
- Consequently, you will see the order differs from the previous one. Here, you will see all the products in the USA are vertically ordered with each other on the right side but in the previous one, the mouse and Pendrive are in the same horizontal order and the mobile phone is in vertically with them.
Step 5: Using Data Labels to Edit Excel Treemap Chart
Here, we will discuss some editing options and how to edit your treemap chart if you would like to do it.
- Firstly, click on the treemap chart.
- After that, we choose Date Labels from the Chart Elements option.
- Then, we select the More Data Labels Options…
- After that, this given Format Data Labels window will open.
- So, we want to show all the prices for all the respective products.
- Then, we select the Value option from the Label Options.
- Finally, you will find all the values for all the respective categories.
Download Practice Workbook
You may download the following Excel workbook for better understanding and practice it by yourself.
In this article, we’ve covered step-by-step procedures to change treemap order in Excel. We sincerely hope you enjoyed and learned a lot from this article. If you have any questions, comments, or recommendations, kindly leave them in the comment section below.