Excel is the most widely used tool for dealing with massive datasets. We can perform myriads of tasks of multiple dimensions in Excel. Sometimes, we use graphs and charts in Excel. We can easily draw a horizontal line in Excel graph when we need to. In this article, I will show 2 methods of how to draw a horizontal line in an Excel graph.
This is the dataset for today’s article. I have the sales amount for each month and the forecasted sales. I will draw a horizontal line using the forecasted sales.
1. Drawing a Horizontal Line in the Graph Using the Recommended Charts Option in Excel
In this section, we will see how to draw a horizontal line with an Excel graph simultaneously. I will be using recommended charts for this method.
- Select the range B4:D11. Then, go to the Insert tab >> select Recommended Charts.
- Insert Chart box will appear. Go to All Charts >> select Combo.
- Excel will see the options available for charts. Since we are going to draw the horizontal line with forecasted sales, we will keep the Chart Type for Forecasted Sales as the Line. Then, click OK.
- Excel will draw a horizontal line.
Read More: How to Draw Target Line in Excel Graph
2. Adding a Horizontal Line to an Existing Excel Graph
Here, I will discuss a slightly different method. This time I am going to add a horizontal line to an existing Excel Graph.
Look at the image below. Here, I have a graph of actual sales and the corresponding months. In this existing graph, I will add a horizontal line with the forecasted sales.
- Select the chart. Then right-click your mouse to bring the menu. After that, select Select Data.
- Select Data Source box will appear. Select Add.
- Edit Series box will pop up. Give the new series a name and put the values. In my case, the name is Forecasted Sales and the values are D5:D11. Then click OK.
- Excel will add a new series. Click OK.
- You will see that a new cluster of columns is visible. These columns represent the forecasted sales. Now our task is to convert these columns to a horizontal line.
- To do so, select the new columns. Then right-click your mouse to bring the menu. After that, select Change Series Chart Type.
- Change Chart Type window will appear. Now select the type of Forecasted Sales as Line from the drop-down Then click OK.
- Excel will convert the columns into a horizontal line.
Read More: How to Add a Marker Line in Excel Graph
Things to Remember
- You can add horizontal lines to other types of graphs and charts too.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this workbook and practice while going through the article.
In this article, I have demonstrated 2 easy ways to draw a horizontal line in an Excel graph. I hope it helps everyone. If you have any suggestions, ideas, or feedback, please feel free to comment below.
- How to Shade Area Between Two Lines in a Chart in Excel
- How to Make a Forest Plot in Excel
- How to Create a Combination Chart in Excel
- How to Combine Two Graphs in Excel
- How to Create Column and Line Chart Combo in Excel
- Create Clustered Stacked Column Combo Chart with Lines in Excel