This article illustrates how to add trend arrows in excel. Trend arrows are commonly used all over the world, especially in stock market statistics. It helps to easily differentiate between positive and negative values. You can add these trend arrows to your excel dataset in a number of ways. Follow the article to learn how to do that.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from the download button below.
3 Ways to Add Trend Arrows in Excel
Assume you have the following dataset containing the year-to-year growth rates of some companies in the USA. Now you need to add appropriate trend arrows to the dataset to make it more presentable.
Follow the methods below to be able to do that.
1. Add Trend Arrows with Conditional Formatting
First, we will try to use Conditional Formatting to add trend arrows to the dataset.
- First, select the range C5:C12. Then select Home >> Conditional Formatting >> Icon Sets >> 3 Triangles as shown in the picture below.
- After that, you will see the following result.
- Now select the range again. Then you can use the ALT+O+D shortcut from the earlier Excel versions to manage the formatting rule. Alternatively, you can select Home >> Conditional Formatting >> Manage Rules.
- Next, select the particular rule that you want to modify. Then click on Edit Rule.
- After that, change the Type fields to Number. Then enter zeros in the Value fields. Next click on the OK button.
- You can change a particular icon or the icon style using the dropdowns. Besides, you can show the icons only by checking the checkbox for Show Icon Only.
- Now click on Apply and then OK to see the following result.
2. Apply Custom Number Format to Add Trend Arrows
Now we will discuss how to format the cells using a custom number format to add the trend arrows to the dataset.
- First, select the range and then press CTRL+1 to open the Format Cells dialog box. Then, go to the Custom number format. Next enter [Green] ▲ 0.00%;[Red] ▼ 0.00% in the Type field and click OK.
- After that, you will get the following result.
Read More: How to Draw Arrows in Excel (3 Simple Ways)
- How to Insert Red Arrow in Excel Cell (5 Examples)
- How to Show Tracer Arrows in Excel (2 Handy Ways)
- Up and Down Arrows in Excel Using Conditional Formatting
- How to Remove Tracer Arrows in Excel
3. Insert Trend Arrows Using Wingdings Font along with CHAR and IF Functions
- First, enter the following formula in cell D5.
- Then, change the font to Wingdings 3. You can apply conditional formatting to show green and red arrows for positive and negative values respectively.
- After that, drag the Fill Handle icon to copy the formula below.
- Finally, you will see the following result.
Things to Remember
- You need to modify the rule for conditional formatting while using the icon sets containing more than three icons.
- Remove the color names from the custom number format to keep the font colors unchanged.
- You need to modify the formula to add arrows other than the up and down arrows.
Now you know how to add trend arrows in excel in 3 different ways. Which method did you prefer? Do you have any further queries or suggestions? Please let us know in the comment section below. You can also visit our ExcelDemy blog to explore more about excel. Stay with us and keep learning.