You may need to know how to link a PDF form with an Excel database to update dynamic records if you have to keep individual records and the information is kept in pdf forms. In this tutorial, we will show you how to link a PDF form to an Excel database.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
5 Easy Steps to Link PDF Form to Excel Database
We’ll show you how to connect PDF Forms to an Excel database in the sections below. We’ll start by showing you how to make or prepare pdf forms, then export the results to an Excel database. Simply follow the instructions indicated to do this.
Step 1: Create a PDF Form
- Open Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader.
- Click on Tools.
- In the search box, type ‘Prepare’ to the Prepare Form
- From the Prepare Form option, select the Create Form.
- Select Create New.
- Then, click on the Start.
Step 2: Edit and Prepare PDF Form
- After creating the Prepare Form, click on the Add Text to add or type anything.
- Therefore, it will show as the image shown below after adding any text to the Form.
- To add a text field, click on the Add a Text field.
- As a result, a text field box will appear where you can write any information.
- To add an image, click on Add an Image Field option and select the image you want to add from your image files.
- In the image below, we have added our company logo as an Image Field.
- As a consequence, the PDF Form will appear as the figure shown below.
Step 3: Input Data to PDF Form to Link to Excel Database
- Share the Form with anybody who is interested in filling it out through email or any other medium.
- In the image below, we have provided a sample filled-up Form.
Step 4: Export Data in Excel Database
- From the Tools, search the Merge Data Files into Spreadsheet
- Then, select the Merge Data Files Into Spreadsheet.
- Click on Add Files to export the Form.
- Select the Prepare Form from your desktop.
- Then, click on Open.
- After adding the Form, click on Export.
- Give your Form any name you prefer.
- Make sure the Format is in CSV (.csv) to make it compatible with Excel.
- Finally, save the file.
- Click on View File Now to get the results in the Excel database.
- As a result, you will get the PDF Form linked to the Excel Database.
Step 5: Apply Power Query to Link PDF Form to Excel Database
- To create a dynamic updating Excel Database, link the PDF Form by using the Power Query.
- Firstly, click on the Data.
- Secondly, click on the Get Data.
- From the options, select the From.
- Finally, select the From Text/CSV from the list.
- Select your saved file.
- Then, click on Import.
- There will be a Preview in the Power Query.
- Finally, click on Load to import the data into the Excel database.
- Therefore, you will get the result in the Table as the image shown below.
To conclude, I hope this article has given you a tutorial about linking pdf form to an Excel database. All of these procedures should be learned and applied to your dataset. Take a look at the practice workbook and put these skills to the test. We’re motivated to keep making tutorials like this because of your valuable support.
If you have any questions – Feel free to ask us. Also, feel free to leave comments in the section below.
We, the Exceldemy Team, are always responsive to your queries.
Stay with us & keep learning.