The article will show you some effective steps to export data from fillable PDF to Excel. If you are an employer or a businessman, fillable PDFs can be useful to you as you can provide them to your future employee or customer for necessary information. Moreover, fillable PDFs have many other applications.
In this article, we will have a PDF form where a candidate can fill up some necessary information about him/her. We will represent this form in an Excel file.
Step 1: Exporting Data from Fillable PDF to Excel
The most effective way to export data from a fillable PDF file to an Excel file is to apply the Get Data wizard from the Data tab. This will turn the information of the PDF file into an Excel table. Let’s see the procedure below.
- First, go to Data >> Get Data >> From File >> From PDF
- The Import Data Window will appear. Select the PDF file that you want to import to your Excel File. In my case, the name of the file is Fillable_Form.
- Click on Import. Make sure to select All Files.
- After that, you will see the Navigator window. Excel will convert the PDF file into a table and name the table Page001 by default. So select Page001 and you will see a preview of the table on the right side.
- Now click on Transform Data if you want to edit the table. Otherwise, you may just click on Load which will bring you the table in a new sheet.
This operation will bring this data into a Power Query Editor.
Step 2: Formatting Fillable PDF Data Table in Excel
Here, you can see that the first row of the table is not necessary. So I want to remove this row from this table. The necessary steps are given below.
- Select Reduce Rows >> Remove Rows >> Remove Top Rows.
- Later, you will see a window asking you how many rows from the top you want to remove. In this case, I want to remove the 1st row so I wrote 1 in the Number of Rows section and clicked OK.
- After that, you will see the first row removed from the table. We want to present this table in an Excel sheet. So I selected Close & Load.
The execution of this operation will lead this data into an Excel sheet as a table. You can customize it according to your own convenience as some data or text may not appear in the Excel file.
Thus you can export data from a fillable PDF file to an Excel File.
Read More: How to Extract Data from PDF to Excel
Things to Remember
If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro version, you can export data directly from it.
- First, you need to open the fillable PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Then select Tools >> Forms >> More Form Options >> Merge Data Files into Spreadsheets.
- By doing this, you can export everything from your fillable PDF file to Excel spreadsheet.
Download Practice Workbook
Suffice to say, you can achieve the basic idea of how to export data from fillable PDF to Excel after reading this article. If you have any feedback regarding this article, please share your idea in the comment box. This will help me enrich my upcoming article.