One might need to put a line over text for various purposes. For instance, Means and Vectors are expressed by putting a bar on the top of a text in mathematics. If an individual needs to put a line above the text, he can easily do so in Excel by using quick methods. In this article, we will show you 4 easy ways to overline text in Excel.
How to Overline Text in Excel: 4 Easy Ways
We will demonstrate 4 easy ways to overline text in Excel. We apply the REPT, LEN, CHAR functions, Accent command, Shapes features, and keyboard shortcuts. We will use the following dataset for this purpose.
1. Use Accent Option to Overline Text in Excel
In the first method, we will use the Accent option to overline text. Follow the procedure below to do this.
- First of all, Click on the Insert tab and go to,
Insert → Symbols → Equation
- Next, click on Accent and select Bar.
- A text box with a Bar on the top will appear.
- Type your desired text in the text box and you will see a bar on the top of the text.
- Finally, drag your text box to your desired cell and adjust its size.
- As a result, you will get an overlined text in your desired cell.
2. Combine REPT, LEN, and CHAR Functions
- First, insert a column named Overlined Text.
- Then select the whole column and turn on Wrap Text options from the Home tab.
- After that, write down the following formula in cell D5.
- CHAR(10) adds a line break in the cell.
- LEN(C5) returns the number of characters in a text string. It will return 8 in this case.
- REPT(“_”,LEN(C5))&CHAR(10)&C5 repeats the “_” symbol 8 times as the number of characters is 8 in cell C5.
- Now press Enter and you will have your overlined text.
- Hence, AutoFill the formula to the rest of the cells in column D.
- Finally, you will be able to get your desired output.
3. Apply Keyboard Shortcuts to Put a Line over Text in Excel
We can also apply a keyboard shortcut to put a line over text in Excel easily. Keep on reading to learn the steps.
- First of all, bring your cursor to your desired cell and type “_” before the text.
- You should type the symbol as many times as the number of characters in the text you want to overline.
- Now keep your cursor between the symbols and text.
- Then press Alt+Enter to add a line break.
- Consequently, you will get your overlined text in the cell.
Read More: How to Draw a Line Through Text in Excel
4. Insert Shapes Feature to Overline Text in Excel
In the last method, you will learn the use of the Shapes feature to overline text in Excel. Read the following steps to do it.
- First of all, from your Insert tab, go to,
Insert → Illustrations → Shapes → Lines
- After that, use your mouse to draw a line above the text.
- Finally, you can change the color and width of the line to get it in your desired format.
- After adding the line break, make sure to adjust the cell height to make your overlined text visible.
- Don’t forget to give proper cell references or you won’t get your desired results.
Download Practice Workbook
Thanks for making it this far. I hope you find this article useful. Now you know how to Overline text in Excel in 4 easy ways. Please let us know if you have any further queries and feel free to give us any recommendations in the comment section below.