Microsoft Excel is a powerful program. We can perform numerous tasks on datasets using Excel tools and features. There are many default Excel functions that we can use to create formulas. Many educational institutions and business companies use Excel files to store valuable data. Sometimes, we need to import data into Excel worksheets from VCF files. But, we can’t open the VCF files directly in Excel. We have to go through some steps before the VCF file information appears in the Excel worksheet. This article will show you 2 simple methods to open VCF file in Excel.
How to Open VCF File in Excel: 2 Simple Methods
VCF is the short form for Virtual Contact File. People also know it as vCard. VCF files are virtual storage of business contact information. The file format is text-based and can store Name, Address, Phone Number, Email info, etc. However, Excel can’t open them directly as it lacks built-in support for .vcf formats. In this article, we’ll show you how you can open VCF files in Excel by following some procedures. To illustrate, we’ll use a sample dataset as an example. For instance, the below dataset is in a VCF file. The dataset contains info about names, addresses, phone numbers, and emails. Now, go through the methods for performing the operation.
1. Open VCF File in Excel Through Text Import Wizard
In our first method, we’ll open the VCF file through the Text Import Wizard. The Text Import Wizard is a feature in Excel that helps to import data from text file formats into worksheets. This feature analyzes the text file first. We can also specify the delimiter we have used in the text files so that we can get the data in excel in an accurate way. As the VCF files are text-based, we can definitely use the Text Import Wizard for opening VCF files in Excel. Therefore, follow the steps below to perform the task.
- Firstly, we’ll open the .vcf file using excel.
- For this reason, click File > Open.
- As a result, the Open dialog box will pop out.
- Select the desired VCF file.
- Then, press Open.
- Consequently, the Text Import Wizard will appear.
- In step 1, select Delimited and press Next.
- Subsequently, in step 2, choose your delimiter.
- Here, we choose Tab and colon (:) by checking Other.
- Afterward, click Next.
- In step 3, you can change your column data formats.
- Lastly, click Finish.
- Hence, the Excel worksheet will be populated with the VCF file data.
- See the below picture which is our outcome.
2. Use Power Query Editor to Import VCF File in Excel
Moreover, we can use the Excel power query editor to import VCF file data. The Power Query editor is useful when importing data into Excel worksheets. We can also transform various data into our desired format before loading them into worksheets. So, learn the following steps to carry out the operation.
- First, go to the Data tab.
- Then, in the Get & Transform Data section, click From Text/CSV.
- As a result, the Import Data dialog box will pop out.
- Select the desired VCF file and press Import.
- Consequently, another dialog box will appear containing the file.
- Look at the below figure to understand it clearly.
- After that, double-click the file to open it.
- Notice that all the values are in a single column which is not desired.
- To modify it, select the entire column.
- Next, under the Transform tab, click Text Column > Split Column > By Delimiter.
- A new dialog box will emerge.
- Afterward, choose Tab as the delimiter.
- You can choose your own.
- Press OK.
- Lastly, go to the Home tab and click Close & Load.
- Thus, you’ll see the VCF data in the Excel worksheet.
- In this way, we can easily open the VCF files in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
Henceforth, you will be able to Open VCF file in Excel using the above-described methods. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.