Indeed, Microsoft Excel excels at arranging and manipulating data. Now, what if you need to edit a VCF file in Excel? With this question in mind, this article shows a step-by-step guide on how to edit VCF file in Excel. Moreover, we’ll also discuss editing VCF files in Notepad.
Download Practice Workbook
What Is a VCF File?
First and foremost, let us dwell a little upon what a VCF file is.
VCF stands for Virtual Contact File (vCard) which is the common file format for sharing and archiving contact information in Windows and other operating systems. Furthermore, the most useful and convenient feature of VCF is its ability to save a variety of information for each contact, including name, phone number, contact image, email, and address.
3 Steps to Open and Edit VCF File in Excel
The screenshot below is an overview of this article which demonstrates how to edit a VCF file in Excel. In the following sections, we’ll go through the steps with the necessary illustrations.
Here, we have used the Microsoft Excel 365 version, you may use any other version according to your convenience.
📌 Step 1: Open the VCF File
At the very beginning, we’ll open the VCF file using Excel, so just follow along.
- First, open a blank workbook in Excel >> click the File tab in the top-left corner.
- Next, click the Open button >> select the Browse option.
- Now, select the All Files option >> choose the VCF file, here it is Contacts.vcf >> hit the Open button.
📌 Step 2: Import and Edit the VCF File
At this time, we’ll import the VCF file into Excel using the Text Import wizard which imports text data from an external file into Excel. Hence, just follow the steps shown below.
- Second, choose the Delimited option >> click the Next button.
- Afterward, insert a check mark for the Tab, and Semicolon delimiters >> in the Other field, insert a Colon >> press the Next button.
- Following this, press the Finish button to conclude the importing process.
After completing the above steps, the results should look like the image given below.
- Not long after, edit the Excel file according to your preference. In this case, we’ve edited the Contact numbers and Email addresses.
Lastly, after applying some formatting, the output should look like the picture given below.
📌 Step 3: Save the VCF File
In the third and final step, we’ll save the VCF file as an Excel file, therefore, let’s go through the steps.
- Third, navigate to the File tab >> click on Export >> choose the Change File Type option >> select the Workbook (*.xlsx) format and Double-click.
- Finally, enter a file name, for instance, Editing VCF File.xlsx >> hit the Save button.
How to Edit VCF File in Notepad
If the first method is too much work and you’re in a hurry then, you can utilize the Notepad application to open and quickly edit a VCF file. So, let’s see it in action.
- Initially, press the WINDOWS button on your keyboard >> select the Notepad application.
- Then, click on File >> choose the Open option.
- Next, select the All Files option >> choose the VCF file, for example, Contacts.vcf >> press the Open button.
Now, this opens the VCF file in the Notepad application.
- In turn, edit the text values, like we’ve edited the Contact numbers and Email addresses.
- Eventually, move to File >> select the Save option to save the updated VCF file.
We have provided a Practice section on the right side of each sheet so you can practice yourself. Please make sure to do it by yourself.
In short, this article shows a step-by-step guide on how to edit VCF file in Excel. So, read the full article carefully and download the free workbook to practice. Now, we hope you find this article helpful and if you have any further queries or recommendations, please feel free to comment here. Lastly, visit ExcelDemy for many more articles like this.