Many times, while working in Excel, we need to insert data from a third-party file type such as a pdf in the workbook. This can be done either by embedding the pdf file with excel and displaying it as an icon or as a picture. In this article, I will discuss how we can insert a multiple-page pdf into excel.
How Do I Insert a Multiple Page PDF into Excel: 2 Useful Methods
In this section, we will demonstrate 2 effective methods to insert multiple-page pdf in excel. Let’s begin with our first method.
1. Insert Multiple Page PDF File as a Text Object
Excel offers a feature to embed other types of files in the worksheet including pdf. Let’s look at the steps.
- If you don’t have an excel file opened already, open it.
- Now, go to the Insert tab, click on the Text Group, then select Object.
- As a result, you will see a new window will pop up like this.
- In the window, you can see that there are two tabs.
- Create New
- Create from File
- Under the Create New option, a completely new file is created. Based on the pdf reader installed on your computer, you will see the file type associated with it. On my computer, I have Foxit Pdf Reader. Hence, the Foxit Pdf Reader Document is showing on the window. If you have Adobe Reader or something else, then you will see the file type associated with their names.
- If you click on the Create from File option, then you will see a window like this.
- Here, you can choose a pdf file by browsing the file manager from the existing file. To do that, click on the Browse button. Consequently, the Browse window will pop up.
- Now, select the multi-page pdf file you want to insert in Excel. Here I selected the N-429(Theories).
- Then click Insert.
- Object dialog box pops up >> Press OK.
Note that in this window, there are two checkboxes:
- Link to file
- Display as icon.
For now, we will not click any of these. Later we will discuss them.
- Then, click you will see that the content of the first page of the chosen pdf has appeared in the excel worksheet.
- If you double-click on the file content, the pdf file will be opened up in a separate pdf viewer software installed on your comp
Now, let’s talk about the two checkboxes.
Display as icon
- Instead of displaying the content of the PDF file, you can display the file as an icon. Just check the Display as icon box and click OK on the Object
- Subsequently, you will see an icon on your worksheet like this.
- Like the previous one, you can double-click on the Icon to open it in a pdf viewer.
Link to file
- Moreover, if you think that the PDF that you are inserting will have modifications in the future and you want to reflect it on your worksheet then you can link the actual file by clicking Link to File.
- As a result, it will always display the current version of the linked pdf file.
Read More: How to Insert PDF as Image in Excel
2. Link Multiple Page PDF File with a Picture
This is another alternative way to link pdf files in Excel. In this method, we will first insert an image, then link our desired pdf file with it. Follow the steps below.
- First, go to Insert Now, click on Illustrations then Pictures. Here you will see three options to insert pictures.
- You can choose any of the three options. Here, I choose Stock Images and insert a picture in the worksheet.
- Now, right-click on the image. As a result, an options menu will appear.
- From the menu, click on the Link. This will prompt a new window like the below image.
- Click on the box pointed by the red arrow. It will open the file explorer window.
- In the File Explorer window, select All Files (As shown in the figure above).
- Now, choose your desired pdf file. Here, I chose the same file previously used.
- Now click OK. As a result, this file is linked to the picture that we have already inserted.
- Now, if you hover your mouse pointer on the picture, you will see the pdf link. (see the figure below). As a result, if you now click on the picture, the linked pdf will open.
Read More: How to Attach Screenshot in Excel
Things to Remember
- You must have PDF viewing software installed beforehand on your computer to use the methods described above.
- You can resize the displayed the icon or the content window as we do with a normal image.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
Finally, this is the end of this article. If you find this article helpful in understanding how we can insert a multiple page pdf into Excel then, please share this with your friends. Moreover, do let us know if you have any further queries.