Determining the days between dates is a very common use of Excel. If you are curious about how you can calculate the subtraction of days or dates from Today’s date, then this article may come in handy for you. In this article, I am going to show how you can minus a number of days or dates from Today’s date in Excel with an elaborate example.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook below.
3 Suitable Examples to Minus Number of Days or a Date from Today in Excel
We are going to show three separate examples of subtracting the days from today’s date. Before using them, make sure that the dates are actually in the right format. For avoiding any kinds of compatibility issues, try to use the Excel 356 version.
1. Subtract Number of Days from Today
Here, in this example, we are going to subtract/ delete different day values from Today’s date using the Today function.
- We have the number of days that are going to be deleted from today’s date.
- To do this, select cell C5 and enter the below formula:
- Then drag the Fill Handle to cell C11.
- Doing this will fill the range of cells with today’s date subtracted by the days mentioned in the range of cells C5:C11.
2. Subtract Number of Days from Today with Paste Special Method
Using the paste special tool, we can delete a certain amount of days from today’s date. We are going to use the TODAY function to accomplish this.
- For starters, you need to enter Today’s date.
- Select cell C5 and enter the formula below:
- Select cell C5 and right-click on it.
- From the context menu, click on the Copy.
- Then again return to cell B5 and right-click on the mouse again.
- Then from the Context menu, go to Paste Special > Paste Special.
- In the new window named the Paste Special, Select Values under the Paste
- And then select Subtract under the Operation
- Click OK after this.
- After clicking You are going to see that Today’s date is subtracted by values mentioned in cell C5.
- How to Subtract Dates in Excel to Get Years (7 Simple Methods)
- Find Number of Weeks Between Two Dates in Excel
- How to Calculate 90 Days from a Specific Date in Excel
- Calculate Number of Days between Two Dates with VBA in Excel
- How to Use COUNTIFS with Date Range in Excel (6 Easy Ways)
3. Calculate Number of Days Between Today and Another Date
In this, the difference between the two dates is going to be calculated using the TODAY and DAYS formula.
- Now we have the random dates in the range of cells C5:C10. The days between these dates and today’s date are going to be calculated.
- To calculate the number of days between today’s date and another date, we need to determine today’s date.
- To do this, select the cell B5 and enter the following formula:
- Moreover, merge the range of cells B5:B10.
- To calculate the days between Today’s date and the random dates enter the following formula:
- Then drag the Fill Handle to cell D10.
- Doing this will fill the range of cells with the day differences between today’s date and the random dates.
💬 Things to Remember
If any value seems odd or out of format, then try to reformat it. For example, if the value shows number format instead of date format, then reformat the cell from the Home menu.
To sum it up, the issue of how we minus date or days from today’s date is shown here with 3 separate examples.
For this problem, a workbook is available to download where you can practice these methods.
Feel free to ask any questions or feedback through the comment section. Any suggestion for the betterment of the ExcelDemy community will be highly appreciable.
- How to Apply Excel Formula to Count Days from Date to Today
- Excel Formula to Count Days from Date (5 Easy Methods)
- How to Calculate Number of Months Between Two Dates in Excel
- Calculate Years and Months between Two Dates in Excel (6 Approaches)
- How to Count Months from Date to Today by Using Excel Formula