Sometimes we need to put commas between numbers. It’s hard to understand a number’s identity at one glance when it’s very large, but by putting comma separators we can easily identify them. In this article, I’ll show you how Excel convert number to text with commas and we will be working in the following dataset.
Download Practice Workbook
3 Methods to Convert Number to Text with Commas in Excel
1. Using FIXED Function to Convert Numbers to Text with Commas
One easy way to convert numbers to text in Excel is using the FIXED function. Let’s get to the process.
- First, type the following formula in cell C5.
Here, the FIXED function takes the number from cell B5 and converts it into a text with commas. It also puts decimals after a number by default. As we don’t want decimals, we put a 0 (zero) into our formula.
- Now press the ENTER button. You will see the number in cell B5 converted to a text with commas.
- Now use the Fill Handle to AutoFill the lower cells.
- Now to understand that these numbers are converted to text, select the cells B5 to B11 and you will see a message at the bottom of your Excel sheet which will show you the average, count and sum of the data you selected.
- But, if you select the cells C5 to C11, you will see only the count of these data in that message. This implies that these data are converted to text.
This way, you can convert numbers to text with commas.
Read More: How to Convert Numbers to Texts/Words in Excel
2. Applying TEXT Function to Convert Numbers to Text with Commas
Another valuable and easy to use function to convert numbers to text with commas is the TEXT function. It’s execution is pretty simple.
- First write the following formula in cell C5.
Here, the TEXT function converts the number into text format, but it would not put the commas in numbers if we didn’t use the “#,#” argument in the formula.
- Now hit the ENTER button to see the output in cell C5.
- Use the Fill Handle to AutoFill the lower cells.
By following this approach, you can convert numbers to text with commas within a moment.
Related Content: Excel VBA to Convert Number to Text (4 Examples)
- Excel Convert Number to Text with Leading Zeros: 10 Effective Ways
- Excel VBA: Convert Number to Text with Format (A Total Guide)
- How to Convert Number to Text with Green Triangle in Excel
- How to Convert Text to Numbers in Excel
3. Converting Numbers to Text with Commas Using DOLLAR Function
If we want to keep currency as text, you can use the DOLLAR function. To apply this method, we can follow this procedure.
- Type this formula in cell C5.
Here the DOLLAR function takes the value of cell B5 and simply converts it into currency value. Moreover, It will show 2 decimal values as I didn’t choose 0 as decimals.
- Now hit the ENTER button and you will have the number in cell B5 converted to currency
- Now apply the Fill Handle and it will AutoFill the lower cells.
This operation will convert these Numbers into Text format.
- Now to keep these numbers as text, select cells C5:C11.
- Then select Home >> Number >> Text
And then, you will see these currency values converted to text values.
And by following this approach, you can convert numbers with currency values to text with commas.
Read More: How to Convert Number to Text with 2 Decimal Places in Excel (5 Ways)
Here I am giving you the dataset that I used to explain these methods. You can practice these methods on your own.
This article provides you 3 easy methods on how Excel convert number to text with commas. I hope this will be helpful for you and it will be enough to solve your own problems. If you know easier methods or ideas or feedback, please feel free to share them in the comment box.