Microsoft Excel is a powerful software. We can perform numerous operations on our datasets using excel tools and features. There are many default Excel Functions that we can use to create formulas. Many educational institutions and business companies use excel files to store valuable data. Sometimes, we need to create Data Model in excel. In Data Model, multiple data tables stay connected through common data series. However, it’s also equally important to create a table from the data model whenever it’s necessary. This article will show you the step-by-step procedures to Create a Table from Data Model in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
Step by Step Procedures to Create Table from Data Model in Excel
MS Excel is a very useful program. You can easily create tables using datasets. Sometimes, it’s necessary to access one table from another table through a common data series. In that case, we have to form a relationship between those tables. Data Model is a system where we link up multiple excel tables. In this article, we’ll show you the complete procedures to form a data model. Steps to creating a table from that data model will follow afterward. To illustrate, we’ll use the following dataset. For instance, we have 3 datasets and their common column is Salesman ID.
STEP 1: Insert Table
- First, we need to create tables using our datasets.
- For this purpose, select the range B4:C7.
- Then, go to Insert ➤ Tables ➤ Table.
- As a result, a dialog box will pop out.
- Press OK there.
- Thus, you’ll get the desired table.
- Now, rename the table in the Table Design tab.
- In this example, we type ‘Name’ in the Table Name.
- Similarly, follow the above steps to create 2 other tables.
- Give the table names as Product and Sales.
- See the below picture where all the 3 tables are demonstrated.
STEP 2: Create Data Model
- In this step, we’ll build the data model.
- So, select Data ➤ Data Tools ➤ Relationships.
- Consequently, a dialog box will appear.
- Here, click New.
- Subsequently, another dialog box will emerge.
- There, choose the Name table from the Table drop-down.
- Next, choose the Product table in the Related Table.
- Then, select Salesman ID in both the Column and Related Column sections.
- After that, press OK.
- The following figure will help you understand better.
- Follow the above steps to link the Name table and the Sales table.
- Thus, it’ll return the following dialog box after building the data model.
- Press Close.
- Create a Table in Excel Based on Cell Value (4 Easy Methods)
- How to Create a Table in Excel with Multiple Columns
- Create a Table with Headers Using Excel VBA (2 Methods)
- How to Create a Table with Subcategories in Excel
- How to Make a Contingency Table in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
STEP 3: Create Table from Data Model
Often, we have to analyze table objects from multiple tables. That’s easier to carry out if we have a data model in excel. In this step, you’ll see how to create a table from a data model. Therefore, follow the process below.
- First of all, select Insert ➤ Tables ➤ PivotTable ➤ From External Data Source.
- As a result, a dialog box will emerge.
- Then, click Choose Connection.
- Another dialog box will follow.
- Subsequently, go to the Tables tab.
- Press Workbook Data Model.
- After that, click Open.
- Check the circle for New Worksheet.
- Press OK.
- Thus, it’ll return a new sheet where PivotTable Fields are present.
- You can perform numerous operations using the PivotTable tools.
- Check the box for Names and drag it to place in the Filters.
- Afterward, check the Net Sales box and drag it to place in the Values field.
- Hence, you’ll see the total Net Sales.
- In this way, we can create a table and look for any data in the data model.
Henceforth, you will be able to create a table from the data model in Excel following the above-described steps. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- Excel VBA to Create Table from Range (6 Examples)
- How to Create Excel Table with Row and Column Headers
- Make a Table in Excel with Lines (with Easy Steps)
- How to Create a Sensitivity Table in Excel (2 Effective Ways)
- Create a Table with Merged Cells in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- How to Create Table from Another Table in Excel (3 Easy Ways)