This tutorial will demonstrate the steps to add x and y-axis labels in Excel. Undoubtedly graphs are very useful for making an easy representation of any collected data. But, without perfect labeling, graphs won’t be that effective. So, it is important for you to label the x-axis and y-axis accordingly.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here.
2 Easy Methods to Add X and Y Axis Labels in Excel
We’ll use a sample dataset overview as an example in Excel to understand easily. For instance, we have a dataset of people with their Work Hours in Column C and Daily Pay in Column D. At this point, you want to add x-axis and y-axis labels. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Add Axis Labels by Chart Design Tab in Excel
In this first method, we will add X and Y axis labels in Excel by Chart Design Tab. In this case, we will label the horizontal axis first and then the vertical axis. The steps are:
- At first, our target is to create a graph. For that, select Column B, Column C, and Column D.
- Then, click on the Insert tab and choose the proper line according to your wish from the Recommended Charts.
- After that, select the graph and click the Chart Design.
- Then go to Add Chart Element and press on the Axis Titles.
- Moreover, select Primary Horizontal to label the horizontal axis.
- In short: Select graph>Chart Design> Add Chart Element>Axis Titles>Primary Horizontal.
- Afterward, if you have followed all steps properly, then the Axis Title option will come under the horizontal line.
- But to reflect the table data and set the label properly, we have to link the graph with the table.
- For doing that, select the Axis Title, go to the Formula Bar and choose the column you want to link.
- In short: Select Axis Title> Formula Bar> Select Column.
- Lastly, you will get the following result.
- Again, to label the vertical axis, we will go through the same steps as described before but only with a slight change.
- Here, we will select the Primary Vertical option as we are labeling the vertical axis.
- In short: Select graph>Chart Design> Add Chart Element>Axis Titles>Primary Vertical
- Next to that, we can connect the graph and table in a similar way as described before for the vertical axis((Select Axis Title> Formula Bar> Select Column).
- Finally, the following result will come onto the screen:
Read More: How to Change Axis Labels in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
2. Using Excel Chart Element Button to Add Axis Labels
In this second method, we will add the X and Y axis labels in Excel by Chart Element Button. In this case, we will label both the horizontal and vertical axis at the same time. The steps are:
- Firstly, select the graph.
- Secondly, click on the Chart Elements option and press Axis Titles.
- Thirdly, select both Primary Horizontal and Primary Vertical Then you will see the Axis Title option under both the axis.
- After that, you can link the data with the table using the same steps as method-01 (Select Axis Title> Formula Bar> Select Column).
- Lastly, you will get the following result:
Read More: Excel Bar Chart Side by Side with Secondary Axis
Things to Remember
- In the first method(Add Axis Title by Chart Design Tab), you must set both axis labels individually.
- In case of linking the graph with the table, in the Formula Bar, you have to use ‘=’ and then select the desired column.
- These steps will be only applicable for two axes. If any formula or table needed more than two axes, then these steps won’t be helpful.
Henceforth, follow the above-described methods. Thus, you will be able to add x and y-axis labels in Excel. Let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.