Often, we need to add details of cities, states, or different things. We can do this easily using the data types in Excel. Sometimes, the ‘Data Types’ option is not available in the ribbon. In this article, we will learn to add data types to ribbon in Excel in quick steps. Here, we will also demonstrate the use of the data types. So, without further ado, let’s start the discussion.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
What Are Data Types in Excel?
Data Types are different types of data with details. With the Data Types tool, you can add details to your excel sheet without opening the browser. In Excel, we can convert a word or phrase into a data type and extract necessary details from the web. For example, you can insert a state in your sheet as a geography data type. And you can get all the information like population, households, area, etc. with a simple click.
There are different types of data types in Excel. The image below shows the available data types in Excel 365.
Step-by-Step Procedures to Add Data Types to Ribbon in Excel
In this section, we will provide step-by-step procedures to add Data Types to the ribbon in Excel. Also, we show the use of Data Types. For that purpose, we will use a dataset containing information about some states’ populations and households. So, without any delay, let’s learn the steps in the next section.
STEP 1: Open Excel Options Window to Add Data Types to Ribbon
- In the first step, we need to open the Excel Options window.
- To do so, go to the ribbon and click on the File tab.
- After that, click on Options.
- After clicking on Options, it will open the Excel Options window.
Read More: How to Show Ribbon in Excel (5 Quick & Simple Ways)
STEP 2: Go to Customize Ribbon Section
- In the second step, select Customize Ribbon.
- Alternatively, you can directly open the Excel Options window. To do so, go to the ribbon and right-click on a blank space.
- It will open a context menu. Select Customize the Ribbon from it.
Read More: How to Show, Hide, & Customize Excel Ribbon
STEP 3: Add Data Types to the Selected Tab
- Thirdly, we need to add data types from the customization section.
- Select ‘Main Tabs’ in the ‘Choose commands from’ field.
- Then, click on the plus (+) icon of the Data tab.
- Now, select Data Types and click on Add.
Read More: Types of commands on the Ribbon
STEP 4: Close the Excel Options Window
- In the last step, click OK to close the Excel Options window.
- Finally, go to the Data tab and check the Data Types.
- How to show the Developer Tab on the Ribbon
- Understanding contextual tabs in Excel Ribbon
- How to Pin the Ribbon in Excel (4 Simple Methods)
How to Use Data Types in Excel
In this section, we will show how to use Data Types in Excel. Here, we will add details about the population and households of some states. You can see the dataset below.
Let’s follow the steps below to learn to use data types in Excel.
- First of all, select the words where you want to apply the data types. We have selected the range B5:B10.
- Secondly, go to the Data tab and select Geography.
- After selecting the data type, an Insert Data icon will appear.
- Next, select the Insert Data icon and choose the field you want to add to your dataset. Here, we need to select the Population field.
- After selecting the Population field, you will see results like the picture below.
- Again, click on the Insert Data icon to add details about the Households.
- In the end, you will see results like the picture below.
More Useful Information about Data Types
There are some important things you need to know about the Data Types.
- You can see an icon at the start of each state. This is called the Show Card icon.
- If you click on the Show Card icon, you will get different information about the state.
- To update the details, go to the Data tab and select Refresh All.
- Last of all, if you select a cell, you will see the formula related to the cell in the formula bar.
Things to Remember
- The data type tool collects information from the web. So, you need to have an internet connection.
- If you don’t find the ‘Data Types‘ option, you need to repair the Microsoft Excel application.
We have demonstrated step-by-step guidelines for ‘How to Add Data Types to Ribbon in Excel‘. I hope this demonstration will help you to understand the method very easily. Here, we have also discussed the way to use the data types. Furthermore, the practice book is also added at the beginning of the article. You can also download the practice book to exercise more. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section below.
Thank you for sharing this information.
My query is whether datatype option under Data Tab in Excel is available on offline version of Excel or only on online version.
The Data Type option in the Data tab in Microsoft Excel is available in both the online and offline versions of Excel.
The offline version of Microsoft Excel is part of the Microsoft Office suite, which can be purchased and installed on your computer. Once you have installed Microsoft Office, you can access Microsoft Excel from the start menu or by double-clicking on an existing Excel file on your computer. The Data Type option in the Data tab will be available in the Excel application after installation. I hope this helps.
Yousuf Khan (ExcelDemy Team)
Unfortunately, this is not working.
I have ms office Home and student 2019 but when I added the data types option from the ribbon it’s not showing the stock/ geography option, rather nothing is coming.
Do I need to purchase anything separately for this?
The Data Types option is not available for Excel 2019 version.
It is only available for Excel for Microsoft 365, Excel for Microsoft 365 for Mac, and Excel for the web.
You need to buy a subscription to Microsoft 365 to use these options.
If you have any further queries, kindly post them on our Exceldemy Forum.