Bullets are very useful symbols to represent certain lists or tables. In Microsoft Word, we are familiar with bullets, but in Excel, it is possible to add bullets as well. In this article, we will go through the process of how to add bullets in the excel cell in 10 quick ways.
Download this sample file to practice by yourself.
10 Quick Ways to Add Bullets in Excel Cell
Let us take an example to describe the process. Here is a dataset showing the obtained marks of 5 students in a school.
Now, we will insert bullets beside the names to make it more signified.
1. Add Bullets in Excel with Keyboard Shortcuts
Keyboard shortcuts are the quickest method to add bullets to cells. Follow these simple steps:
- First, select cell B5.
- Then, press Alt + 7 or Alt + 0149 on your keyboard.
- That’s it, you will get a bullet in the selected cell.
- Now drag the bottom corner of cell B5 up to cell B9 to get bullets in all cells.
2. Use Symbol Dialogue Box for Inserting Bullets
We will insert bullets with the Symbol dialogue box. Let’s see how it works:
- First, double-click on cell B5 to point out the location of the bullet.
- Then, go to the Insert tab and select Symbols.
- Now, select the type of bullet of your preference from the Symbol window.
- Then, press Insert.
- Finally, you got a bullet symbol in the selected cell.
- Apply the same procedure in cell range B6:B9 to get the final output.
3. Copy Bulleted List from Microsoft Word to Excel
If you have the names as bullet points in Microsoft Word then you can easily get them in excel by following these steps:
- First, select all the texts in your Word file.
- Next, press Ctrl + C on your keyboard to copy them.
- Then, go to your Excel file.
- Here, select the cell range B5:B9.
- Following, press Ctrl + V on your keyboard.
- That’s it, you got bullets imported from your Microsoft Word file.
4. Apply CHAR Function to Add Bullets in Excel Cell
In this method, we will apply the CHAR function to add bullets. For this, you need to have a preset dataset for reference. Now let’s see the steps below:
- First, insert this formula in cell C5.
- Then, press Enter.
- Here, you got the first item bulleted.
- Lastly, use the AutoFill tool to apply the formula in cell range C6:C9.
5. Insert Special Fonts to Add Bullets
We can also insert bullets into excel cells by using a special font. Let’s go through the process:
- In the beginning, double-click on cell B5 to define where you want the bullet.
- Then, select the font Wingdings from the Font list in the Home tab.
- Now, press L on your keyboard.
- Finally, you got the bullet inside the selected cell.
- Follow the similar process for cell range B6:B9.
6. Add Bullets in Excel Cell Creating Custom Format
In this method, we will format the cells to add bullets. Go through the following process:
- In the beginning, select the cell range B5:B9.
- Then, right-click on it and choose Format Cells.
- Now, in the new window, select Custom under the Number section.
- Here, press the Alt + 7 key and then type @ in the Type box.
- Otherwise, you can type • General;• General;• General;• General as well.
- Following, hit OK
- Finally, you can see bullets in the cells.
7. Insert Bullet Points in Text Box
In excel, we can work on a Text Box just like Microsoft Word and insert bullets in it. Simply go through the process below:
- First, select cell B4.
- Then, go to the Insert tab and click on Text.
- Here, choose Text Box from the drop-down section.
- Following, you can see a Text Box appearing on the selected sheet.
- Drag the corner of the box to adjust its size.
- Now, right-click on it and go to the Bullets option.
- From here, select the type of bullet you prefer.
- After that, you will see a bullet inside the box.
- Lastly, type the student names and it will show like this:
8. Add Bullets in Excel Cell with SmartArt
SmartArt is a useful tool to add bullets to cells. Follow the steps here:
- First, go to the Insert tab and select SmartArt.
- Following, the Choose a SmartArt Graphic window pops up.
- Here, go to List and select Vertical Bullet List.
- After that, press OK.
- Next, you can see the Type your text here box appears to type.
- Here, type the student names and the final output will look like this:
9. Apply Excel VBA Macro to Add Bullets
The final technique is to apply Excel VBA Macro code to add bullets to excel cells. Let’s go through its steps.
- In the beginning, select cell range B5:B9.
- Then, go to the Developer tab and select Visual Basic.
- Following, select Module from the Insert section in the new window.
- After that, insert this code on the blank page.
Sub AddBullets() For Each Cell In Application.Selection Cell.Value = Chr(149) & " " & Cell.Value Next Cell End Sub
- Next, click on the Run Sub button or press F5 on your keyboard.
- After that, select Run on the Macros window.
- Finally, you will get bullets on your selected cells.
10. Insert Multiple Bullets in a Single Excel Cell
In this method, we will try to add multiple bullets in a cell. Let’s see how it works.
- In the beginning, insert a bullet following any of the methods above in cell B5.
- Then, type your required text in it.
- Now, press Alt + Enter.
- Following, you will be directed to the next line.
- Here, again insert a bullet symbol and type your text.
- Follow this process until you finish writing all your texts.
- The final output looks like this:
Things to Remember
- If your laptop does not have a number pad, then press Shift + Num Lock or Fn + Num Lock to enable Num Lock.
- Use the Alt key while dragging the Text Box to align the box edges with cell borders.
I hope it was a helpful article for you on how to add bullets in excel cells in 10 quick ways. Get the sample file and try any of them. Let us know your feedback in the comment box. Follow ExcelDemy for other excel blogs.