In this article, you will learn about four quick steps on how to prepare test cases for an e-commerce website in Excel. There will be two test cases: one for the product description page, and another for the customer care page. We will be using Microsoft 365 to do this; however, you can use any version of Microsoft Excel and follow this tutorial.
Prepare Test Cases for E-Commerce Website in Excel: Step-by-Step Procedures
There are four easy steps to prepare test cases for the e-commerce website in Excel. We can consider this an example for Amazon, Flipkart, or any other top ecommerce site. Furthermore, creating the test cases described in this article is a manual process. Firstly, we will set up a format for that. Secondly, we will enter the relevant data. Thirdly, we will use a formula to return the test case status. Finally, we will create another test scenario for this topic.
Step 1: Setting Up Format
We will set up a format for the test cases for an e-commerce product description in the Excel sheet. There will be eight columns in the template. We will show you the template in two parts for better visualization.
- Firstly, create the following fields –
- Module: The module name for the test cases. In this case, it will be “Product Description”.
- Test Scenario: Our test scenario will be “verification of the details on product specification”.
- Test Data Input: In this field the user input is recorded.
- Tester: Here we will input the person responsible for the testing process.
- Secondly, create the following columns –
- ID: We will assign a unique identification number for each test case.
- Test Case: The subject for a test procedure.
- Requirements: If there is any pre-requisite for a test case, we will input it in here.
- Test Step: Required test steps to carry out a test case.
- Expected Outcome: The most likely output, if everything works perfectly.
- Thirdly, insert more columns –
- Actual Outcome: The real output we get from a test case.
- Status: Pass or Fail.
- Comments: If a tester needs to comment on something, this column will be useful then.
Read More: How to Write Test Cases in Excel Sheet
Step 2: Entering Relevant Data
- To begin with, type the values into the empty cells. Now, we cannot see the values properly. We will fix this in the next step.
- So, select all the cells.
- After that, from the Home tab, select Wrap Text, which is under the Alignment section.
- Then, we will notice the rows are breaking. To fix this, we will need to select the cells and increase the row height.
- Finally, type the relevant values into the first set of cells (rows 6 and 7).
- After doing so, we will complete this step.
Step 3: Finding Test Status
In this step, we will create a formula by combining the IFS function to return test cases’ statuses for an e-commerce website in Excel. When the expected outcome and the actual outcome are the same, we will get the “Pass” status. Moreover, when the actual outcome is “As expected”, we will also get the “Pass” status. Then, when the actual outcome is “N/A” then it will have the “Skip” status. For all other scenarios, it will be “Fail”.
- Firstly, type the following formula in cell H10.
- Secondly, press Enter.
- There are four conditions in the formula.
- Firstly, F10=G10,”Pass”
- When the value of F10 is equal to the value of G10, then, return Pass.
- Secondly, G10=”As expected”,”Pass”
- When the value of G10 is equal to “As expected”, then, return Pass.
- Thirdly, G10=”N/A”,”Skip”
- When the value of G10 is equal to “N/A”, then, return Skip.
- Fourthly, TRUE,”Fail”
- For everything else, return Fail.
- In this case, the formula reduces to -> IFS(FALSE,”Pass”,FALSE,”Pass”,FALSE,”Skip”,TRUE,”Fail”)
- Output: Fail.
- The first three conditions are false, so it returns the value from the fourth condition.
- Thirdly, use the Fill Handle, and fill the formulas to the rest of the cells.
- Finally, this will complete the process of creating product description test cases.
Step 4: Creating Another Test Scenario for Customer Care
Now, we will create the test cases for an e-commerce customer care page. The steps will be similar to the previous three steps. We will point out any differences, if there are any.
- Firstly, create the following fields.
- Here, we have two new fields –
- Testing Date: The date when the test cases were carried out.
- Authorized by: The approval of a higher official.
- Then, type all the relevant values. After that, type the following formula to find the test status values.
- This formula is similar to the previous formula from the first example, so, we will skip the formula breakdown. Then, fill the formula into the rest of the cells.
- Lastly, the creation process will be complete.
Read More: Prepare Test Cases for Gmail in Excel Sheet
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the Excel file from the link below.
We have shown you four quick steps on how to prepare the test cases for an e-commerce website in Excel. If you face any problems regarding these methods or have any feedback for me, feel free to comment below. However, remember that our website implements comment moderation. Therefore, your comments may not be instantly visible. So, have a little bit of patience, and we will solve your query as soon as possible.