While using MS Excel, sometimes we need to swap columns. There are many easy ways to swap columns in Microsoft Excel. I discuss here five time-saving and quick methods. If you follow these methods, you will easily swap columns in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
5 Methods to Swap Columns in Excel
Let’s say, we have a data set where First Names, Last Names, and their Salaries with Countries are given in Column B, Column C, Column E, and Column D respectively. We have taken the names randomly. We will have to swap columns in Excel using these columns. In this section, we will discuss six easy and time-saving methods to do it.
1. Apply the Shift Method to Swap Columns in Excel
In this method, we’ll swap between the Salaries column (Column E) and the Countries column(Column D). Following the steps to swap the columns in Excel.
At this time, you select cell E3 and press the Shift key and Down array button simultaneously on your keyboard, and in this way select up to cell E11.
Now move the cursor of the mouse to any border side of the selected area. After that four-direction arrow sign pops up and then press and hold the shift key and by pressing the Left button of the mouse move it to your desired location where a vertical bold line will be shown.
Finally, release the Left click and Shift buttons serially and column E and column D swap each other.
Read More: How to Swap Cells in Excel (3 Easy Methods)
2. Insert the Cut and Paste Method to Swap Columns in Excel
After performing the Shift Method, We will learn here about the Cut and Paste Method. Now, we will swap between column C and column D. For swapping these two columns in Excel, we can follow the steps:
- Firstly you select column C
- After that, press Ctrl + X on your keyboard.
- Now select a cell E5. In this cell press Right-click on your Mouse then a window pops up.
- Then click the Insert Cut Cells
After doing this process finally we will be able to swap our desired columns like the picture that is given below.
Read More: How to Swap Columns and Rows in Excel (6 Easy Methods)
3. Use the Home Command Method to Swap Columns in Excel
Suppose, for our dataset we want to swap the columns in between Column E and Column C along with Column D. Let’s follow the following steps to swap columns in Excel.
- At first select column E
- After that go to the Home Menu Then go to Clipboard Command and click on the Cut sign.
- Then select cell C4 and press Right-click on your Mouse on the cell and instantly a new window appears in front of you. From that window click on the Insert Cut Cells.
- Finally, you will get your output.
Read More: How to Swap Rows in Excel (2 Methods)
- How to Hide Columns in Excel (4 Simple Methods)
- Lock Columns in Excel (4 Methods)
- How to Freeze Columns in Excel (5 Methods)
- Swap Axis in Excel (2 Simple Ways)
4. Apply the Keyboard Shortcut Method in Multiple Columns in Excel
Now we will swap column B with column C by using the Keyboard Shortcuts Method. For swapping these two columns in Excel firstly select the column B and then press Ctrl + X
Now, select column C and hold Ctrl + Plus Sign (+) on the numeric keypad.
After that select column C and press Ctrl+X.
Again select column B and press Ctrl + Plus Sign (+) on the numeric keypad.
At last, we’ll get our output of the Keyboard Shortcuts Method.
5. Perform Sort Command to Swap Columns in Excel
You can also call the SORT Method the Swap Multiple Columns Method. Because in this method we are swapping in multiple columns in Excel. Let’s follow the steps:
- First, we classify the columns First Names, Last Names, Countries, and Salaries as 2, 3, 4, and 1
Then go to the Data menu bar and select the Sort command from the Sort & Filter drop-down. After selecting the SORT command a dialog box pops up and then clicks the Options tab and then selects the button named Sort left to right. After that press the OK.
- Then press the Sort by box and select row3 and finally press OK on the dialog box.
- Performing above all the steps you will be swapped among the columns like the picture that has given below.
Things to Remember
- you can use the keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl + X, Ctrl + C, and Ctrl + P to Cut, Copy, and Paste for selecting a column or a row.
- By using SORT Command to swap columns in Excel follow the instructions:
Data > Sort > Options > Sort Left to Right > OK > Sort by row > OK
In this article, I discuss the five easiest methods to swap columns in Excel. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section. Your feedback is the inspiration for us.
Thank you for this article. I used the Sort Method with success. I miss the old “switch column” button though. Bring it back!
Greetings Ethan. I’m sorry to see you’re missing a feature. You can submit feature requests to Microsoft via their website or community forums.