We often need to Share Excel files Online. In this article, we will show you 2 quick methods of how to Share Excel file Online. To demonstrate our methods we’ve selected a dataset that represents cars owned by employees with 3 columns: “Name”. “Model”, “Company”.
Download Practice Workbook
For the first method, we’re going to use the Share feature from the Ribbon to Share Excel files.
- Firstly, select Share from the Ribbon.
Alternatively, we can do this from File >>> Share.
This will bring the Share dialog box.
- Secondly, select OneDrive.
Here, you can choose to send the file via email directly from the option “Apply a copy instead” below.
Then, if not already logged in, you need to log in to your account.
After that, another dialog box will appear.
- Thirdly, we can choose to share with everyone with the link or specific people.
- Then, we can make the file editable or viewable only.
- After that, press Copy.
Another dialog box saying “our link is copied to the clipboard” will appear.
Moreover, by clicking on “Anyone with the link can edit >“ we can bring more options.
- Then, we can add a password and expiration date to our file.
- Finally, press Apply.
Finally, If specific people are not defined, then we can share this link using social networks, Email, and other means.
Thus, we’ve shared our Excel file Online.
Read More: How to Enable Share Workbook in Excel
- How to Send Email from Excel List (2 Effective Ways)
- How to Send Automatic Email from Excel to Outlook (4 Methods)
- Automatically Send Emails from Excel Based on Cell Content (2 Methods)
- Macro to Send Email from Excel (5 Suitable Examples)
- Macro to Send Email from Excel with Body (3 Useful Cases)
For the last method, we’re going to track changes and Share the Excel file Online using Google Drive. We’ll use Legacy Features to enable track changes here.
We’re going to customize the Ribbon here.
- Firstly, press ALT, F, then O to bring up the Excel Options window.
- Secondly, from Customize Ribbon, then under the Review tab select New Group.
- Thirdly, Right-Click on it and Rename it to “Track(Legacy)”.
- Then, press OK.
Now we’ll add Commands to our created sub-tab.
- Firstly, keep the selection on “Track (Legacy) (Custom)”.
- Secondly, select All Commands in the “Choose commands from:” dropdown box.
- Thirdly, scroll down to find “Compare and Merge Workbooks…” and select it.
- Then, press Add.
- Similarly, we’ll add these three more Commands –
- Protect Sharing (Legacy).
- Share Workbook (Legacy).
- Track Changes (Legacy).
- Finally, press OK.
Here, we’ll track changes in our file.
- Firstly, from the Review tab >>> Track Changes (Legacy) >>> select “Highlight Changes…”.
A dialog box will appear.
- Secondly, select “Track changes while editing. This also shares your workbook.”
- Thirdly, from “Highlight which changes” select –
- When: All.
- Who: Everyone.
- After that, press OK.
Moreover, we can add protection to our dataset.
- From the Review tab >>> select Protect Shared Workbook (Legacy).
Another dialog box will appear.
- Select, Sharing with track changes.
This will keep the changes history in the file.
- Press OK.
Thus, we’ve prepared our Workbook to keep track of the changes. Then, we’re going to share this file via Google Drive.
- Firstly, go to the Google Drive website.
- Secondly, drag the file into the desired location inside our drive.
- Thirdly, Right Click on the file and click on Share.
- Then, we can add people using an Email ID.
- Or, we can choose to share it with everyone with the link.
- After that, press Done.
This link will open the file inside Google Sheets. This file needs to be downloaded and edited using Excel. Else, some features will be dropped from the file. Therefore, to avoid this issue, we can use OneDrive.
Things to Remember
- If the Workbook contains tables then our Track Changes will not work. We need to convert all tables into a range.
- If you upload to Google Drive, then the intended person should download the file and edit it with Excel. Else, it will lose some features.
- We’re using Office 365, depending on your version, some options may not be available.
- You will not be able to Track Changes and Co-Authoring at the same time.
We’ve shown you 2 easy methods of how to Share Excel file Online. If you face any problems, feel free to comment below. Thanks for reading, keep excelling!
- How to Apply Macro to Send Email from Excel with Attachment
- How to Send Bulk Email from Outlook Using Excel (3 Ways)
- Excel Macro to Send Email Automatically (3 Suitable Examples)
- Send Reminder Email Automatically from an Excel Worksheet Using VBA
- How to Send Email Automatically When Condition Met in Excel
- How to Send Excel File to Email Automatically (3 Suitable Methods)