In Excel, we often face the issue of the Unshare Workbook feature being greyed out. A number of Excel users have reported this as a frustrating and annoying problem. In this article, we will learn a quick and convenient solution to fix the issue of Unshare Workbook greyed out in Excel. So, let’s start this article and explore this solution with utmost concentration.
In this section of the article, we will learn a quick and effective solution if Unshare Workbook is greyed out in Excel. Let’s say, we have the Sales Analysis of XYZ Store in our dataset.
If you go to the Review tab from Ribbon, you will see that the Unshare Workbook option is greyed out in the Protect group as shown in the following image. Using the Share Workbook (Legacy) feature, we can enable the Unshare Workbook option in Excel. Let’s follow the procedure discussed in the following section if the Unshare Workbook is greyed out in Excel.
In the newer versions of Excel, this option is not available by default. So, we need to manually enable the Share Workbook (Legacy) feature.
- Firstly, right-click on any empty space on the Ribbon.
- Then, choose the Customize the Ribbon option.
As a result, the Excel Options dialogue box will open on your worksheet.
Note: You can also use the keyboard shortcut ALT + F + T to directly open the Excel Options dialogue box.
- Now, in the Excel Options dialogue box, click on the drop-down icon beside the Popular Commands field.
- Afterward, choose the All Commands option from the drop-down.
- After that, on the right side, click on any groups in the Review tab. In this case, we have selected the Proofing group.
- Then, click on the New Group option.
- Now, select the New Group (Custom) option and click on Rename.
- Following that, choose your preferred name in the Display name field. Here, we used Share as the name for the newly created Group.
- Then, click OK.
- Subsequently, on the left side, search for the Share Workbook (Legacy) option and select it after you have found it.
- Now, choose the Share (Custom) group on the right side.
- After that, click on the Add option.
- Finally, click OK.
Consequently, the Share Workbook (Legacy) option will be available on your worksheet, as shown in the following picture.
In this step, we will use the Share Workbook (Legacy) option to enable the Unshare Workbook feature.
- Firstly, go to the Review tab from Ribbon.
- After that, choose the Share Workbook (Legacy) option from the Share group.
- Then, in the Share Workbook dialogue box, check the box in the marked field under the Editing tab.
- Now, click OK.
- Subsequently, the following window will pop up, and click OK.
Consequently, you will see that the Unshare Workbook option is no longer greyed out as demonstrated in the following image.
While working in Excel, sometimes we can’t share our Excel workbooks with others. In this section of the article, we will learn how we can properly share an Excel workbook. Let’s use the steps outlined in the following section to do this.
- Firstly, go to the File tab from Ribbon.
- After that, select the Share tab.
- Then, choose the Save to Cloud option on the right side.
- Following that, select the OneDrive – Personal option as marked in the following picture.
- Now, click on the Save option.
- Afterward, select the Share with People option.
- Then, type in the email id of the person that you want to share the file with.
- Following that, click on Send.
As a result, Excel will give a confirmation that the link of the shared file is successfully sent as shown in the image below
Download Practice Workbook
Finally, we have come to the very end of the article. I sincerely hope that this article was able to guide you to fix the issue of Unshare Workbook greyed out in Excel. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any queries or recommendations for improving the article’s quality.