Excel add-ins are used to work with additional functionality in excel. By default, add-ins are not promptly available in Excel. We need to install it to use the features. But sometimes it creates complexity in our file and has to remove the add-in file from excel. In this article, we exhibit to remove the excel add-in.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
What is an Excel Add-In?
Microsoft Excel add-ins provide additional commands and functionality. An add-in is a program that appends new attributes to excel. Excel add-in contains the macro file with extension “.xlam”.
Benefits of Add-In
Excel add-ins reserve our time. It helps to keep away from errors and also helps to do tedious work in a quick manner. With this, we can simplify the formula in excel. We can customize the menu or toolbar. Also, with this, we can remove the commands and add new commands.
3 Easy Methods to Remove Excel Add-In
After installing Excel add-ins, the .xlam file spontaneously opens each and every time while opening the excel file. So if we don’t wish to run the add-ins every time we can simply remove them from excel.
1. Take off Add-Ins from Option Menu
As we already know that add-ins are not in excel by default. So installed excel add-ins sometimes create difficulties. We can remove the excel add-in from the Options menu bar. To remove it, let’s follow the steps below.
- First, go to the File tab on the ribbon.
- This will take us to the home page of excel.
- Next, choose the Options menu.
- This will appear in the Excel Options dialog box.
- After that, click on the Add-ins category.
- Further, from the Manage drop-down menu bar, select Excel Add-ins.
- Furthermore, after selecting Excel Add-ins, click on Go….
- As a result, the Add-ins dialog box will be open.
- Then, uncheck the add-ins we wish to remove.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
2. Totally Detach Excel Add-In
To remove excel add-ins completely, we can remove them easily by following the steps down.
- Firstly, by the same token as before, go to the File tab.
- Secondly, select the Options menu.
- Next, click on the Add-ins category.
- After that, select the file we want to remove.
- If we keep an eye on the Location, we can see the location of that specific file.
- Now, close the Excel file.
- Then, go to that shown path where the file is saved on our computer.
- After that, delete or rename the file.
- Again, open excel and traverse to the Add-ins category by following the previous steps.
- Then, press the “Go…” button and open the Add-ins dialog box.
- Finally, click OK.
- Finally, a Microsoft Excel message box will appear, showing that the file does not exist.
- Then, click OK.
- How to Remove #DIV/0! Error in Excel (5 Methods)
- Remove Panes in Excel (4 Methods)
- How to Remove Header and Footer in Excel (6 Methods)
- Remove Comments in Excel (7 Quick Methods)
- How to Remove Outliers in Excel (3 Ways)
3. Remove Excel Add-In from Toolbar
We can remove excel add-ins from the toolbar. To do this, let’s demonstrate the steps below.
- In the beginning, go to the Developer tab on the ribbon.
- Next, click on Excel Add-ins.
- This will easily open the Add-ins dialog box.
- Now, uncheck the add-in we wish to remove.
- In the end, click OK.
Add-Ins Can Not be Removed from Excel
Once we have done work with an add-in, there is no easy method to get rid of it. Only we can move or delete the file and then waiting for a prompt is an option.
Things to Remember
- Excel add-ins work for the windows version of Excel 2007 and beyond.
The above methods assist you to remove add-ins in Excel. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section. Or you can have a glance at our other articles in the ExcelDemy.com blog!
- How to Remove Blank Rows in Excel Pivot Table (4 Methods)
- Delete Empty Rows and Columns in Excel VBA (4 Methods)
- How to Delete Blank Cells and Shift Data Left in Excel (3 Methods)
- Remove Drop Down Arrow in Excel (6 Methods)
- How to Find and Delete Rows in Excel (5 Ways)
- How to Remove Vlookup Formula in Excel (6 Methods)