Excel add-ins are used to work with additional functionality in Excel. By default, add-ins are not promptly available in Excel. We need to install it to use the features. But sometimes it creates complexity in our file and we have to remove the add-in file from Excel. In this article, we exhibit how to remove the Excel add-in.
What is an Excel Add-In?
Microsoft Excel add-ins provide additional commands and functionality. An add-in is a program that appends new attributes to Excel. Excel add-in contains the macro file with the extension “.xlam”.
Benefits of Add-In
Excel add-ins reserve our time. It helps to keep away from errors and also helps to do tedious work in a quick manner. With this, we can simplify the formula in Excel. We can customize the menu or toolbar. Also, with this, we can remove the commands and add new ones.
After installing Excel add-ins, the .xlam file spontaneously opens each and every time while opening the Excel file. So if we don’t wish to run the add-ins every time, we can simply remove them from Excel.
1. Taking off Add-Ins from the Option Menu
As we already know, add-ins are not in Excel by default. So installed Excel add-ins sometimes create difficulties. We can remove the Excel add-in from the Options menu bar. To remove it, let’s follow the steps below.
- First, go to the File tab on the ribbon.
- This will take us to the home page of Excel.
- Next, choose the Options menu.
- This will appear in the Excel Options dialog box.
- After that, click on the Add-ins category.
- Further, from the Manage drop-down menu bar, select Excel Add-ins.
- Furthermore, after selecting Excel Add-ins, click on Go….
- As a result, the Add-ins dialog box will be open.
- Then, uncheck the add-ins we wish to remove.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
2. Detaching Excel Add-In Totally
To remove Excel add-ins completely, we can do so easily by following the steps below.
- Firstly, by the same token as before, go to the File tab.
- Secondly, select the Options menu.
- Next, click on the Add-ins category.
- After that, select the file we want to remove.
- If we keep an eye on the Location, we can see the location of that specific file.
- Now, close the Excel file.
- Then, go to the path shown where the file is saved on our computer.
- After that, delete or rename the file.
- Again, open Excel and traverse to the Add-ins category by following the previous steps.
- Then, press the “Go…” button and open the Add-ins dialog box.
- Finally, click OK.
- Finally, a Microsoft Excel message box will appear, showing that the file does not exist.
- Then, click OK.
3. Removing Excel Add-In from the Toolbar
We can remove Excel add-ins from the toolbar. To do this, let’s demonstrate the steps below.
- In the beginning, go to the Developer tab on the ribbon.
- Next, click on Excel Add-ins.
- This will easily open the Add-ins dialog box.
- Now, uncheck the add-in we wish to remove.
- In the end, click OK.
Read More: How to Create Excel Add-In
Add-Ins Can Not be Removed from Excel
Once we have done work with an add-in, there is no easy method to get rid of it. Only we can move or delete the file and then waiting for a prompt is an option.
Things to Remember
- Excel add-ins work for the Windows version of Excel 2007 and beyond.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with it.
The above methods assist you to remove add-ins in Excel. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback, please let us know in the comment section.