When reading data on worksheets printed in Excel, lines of the row and column titles can be useful. But, those lines aren’t printed on a Microsoft Excel workbook by default. In Excel, these row and column lines are called grids. In this article, we will see how we can print an excel sheet with lines. Let’s demonstrate different ways to print the excel sheet with gridlines.
Excel spreadsheets are made up of rows and columns, and the spaces between them are known as cells. And, the light-colored lines that surround each cell in the spreadsheet are called gridlines in Excel. These lines help to demarcate the area occupied by a cell, making the data easier to read. But while printing the data from excel sheets, the printout does not have any gridlines by which we can understand the separate data cells. So, let’s look at the ways to print excel data with gridlines.
1. Using ‘Sheet Options’ to Print Excel Sheet with Lines
We can print excel data with gridlines using the sheet options. This is the simplest way to get the gridlines while printing the data. Let’s have a look at the steps to add gridlines in printed data.
- First, go to the Page Layout tab on the ribbon.
- Now, look for Sheet Options under the Page Layout tab.
- There are two options on the Sheet Options group. One is Gridlines another is Headings.
- We need to show the gridlines, so under the Gridlines option make sure that the Print checkbox is checked. If not then, tick mark (✔) the check box. This will ensure that the printouts have gridlines.
- Next, go to the File tab on the ribbon or press Ctrl + P. This will take us to the main menu.
- After that, click on the Print option.
- Finally, click on the Print.
This is one of the ways of adding gridlines while printing the data from excel.
Read More: How to Print Gridlines in Excel Online
2. Using Page Setup Tool to Add Gridlines in Excel Sheet
In this method, we will use a tiny icon under Page Setup. If we want to print an excel sheet with lines we need to follow the steps below.
- Firstly, likewise, the previous method, go to the File tab on the ribbon.
- Secondly, under the Page Setup group, there is a tiny icon shown below. Click on that icon.
- This will appear in the Page Setup dialog box.
- Next, go to the Sheet menu and checkmark the Gridlines under the print option.
- After that, click on Print Preview.
- This will open the print option. Now select the Print and click on that.
This is another method to print the data with gridlines in excel.
Read More: How to Print Excel with Lines on One Page
3. Using Excel Print Preview Mode to Add Lines in Sheet
There is another way to print the data with lines in excel. And this is the quickest method than the others. To use the methods we need to follow the procedures down.
- In the beginning, go to the File tab from the ribbon.
- This will take you to the main menu bar. Or, press Ctrl + P to go to the print preview.
- Now, select Print.
- After that, select Page Setup as indicated in the picture below.
- This will open the Page Setup dialog box.
- Further, select the Sheet then under the print, tick mark (✔) the check box of Gridlines.
- Then, click on the OK button to close the dialog box.
This is the fastest method to print the excel sheet with lines.
Change the Color of the Printed Gridlines
In Excel, the grid lines are light gray by default. If we are using a color printer to produce a grid sheet, we can change the color by following the steps down.
- Similarly, as with the earlier methods, first, go to the File tab or press Ctrl + P.
- Next, choose the Options from the File tab menu.
- This will open the Excel Options dialog box.
- Now, select the Advanced category.
- Next, choose the sheet we wish to color which is the right side on the Display options for this worksheet.
- And then, under the Display options for this worksheet, tick mark (✔) the check box for Show gridlines.
- After that, from Gridline color choose a color. We choose Teal color.
- Finally, click on the OK button to close the dialog box.
Troubleshooting Printing Issues in Excel
Gridlines are usually only printed around the data only. If we want the gridlines to appear around empty cells as well, make sure the print area includes those cells. If you are still facing trouble after following the methods mentioned in the earlier section of the article, then you can follow this to solve the problem.
- First, select the whole data you want to make the gridlines.
- Go to the File tab on the ribbon, as in the previous procedure. There is a tiny icon in the Page Setup group, as shown below. Select that icon. The Page Setup dialog box will display.
- Then, under the Print option, make sure that the Draft quality is unchecked.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
Or If this fails, use borders to define the boundaries of cells. This can easily make the grid line on your data by just following some steps.
- Choose the range of cells that we wish the boundaries to be drawn around.
- After that, go to the Home tab on the ribbon.
- Select the Border tool from the Font group’s dropdown menu.
- Now, select All Borders.
If the problem is still not solved then check to see whether the printer driver has any troubles. You could try getting the most recent driver from the printer’s manufacturer’s website.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the workbook and practice with them.
The above methods assist you to print an Excel sheet with Lines. Hope this will help you! If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback please let us know in the comment section.