The color of default grid lines is faded and not continuous. So, it doesn’t get feasible in some particular cases while using Excel. But no worries, Excel has some features by which we can make the grid lines solid and also can change the color too. You will learn 2 easy methods to make solid grid lines in excel including proper images.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook from here and practice on your own.
2 Simple Ways to Make Solid Grid Lines in Excel
First of all, get introduced to our dataset which represents the 5 best-selling smartphones for 2021. The data sheet contains the default grid lines, now go forward to explore the methods to make the grid lines solid.
1. Using Borders Command to Make Solid Grid Lines
First, we’ll apply the Borders command of Excel to make the grid lines solid by increasing the thickness of the lines. There are two ways to do that.
1.1. Using Line Style Command
You will get the Line Style option in the Borders command, where Excel will offer you some solid borders to choose from.
- From the Home ribbon, click on the Borders drop down and then select your preferred line from the Line Style option. I chose a thicker bold black line.
- Later, click on the green triangular icon of your sheet and it will select the whole sheet.
- Next, again from the Borders command drop-down list, select All Borders.
Now have a look, the grid lines became thicker and bold with black color.
1.2. Using More Borders Command
In the Borders command, there is also a More Borders option. By applying it, we can easily change the grid lines to solid and thicker.
- First, click on the green triangular icon of your sheet and it will select the whole sheet.
- After that, from the Borders command, click on More Borders.
Soon after, a dialog box will appear and it will take you to the Border section directly.
- Select the line from the Style section.
- Then it will allow you to choose every specific brother. I selected all the sides, middle, and center borders.
- Finally, just press OK.
Now take a look, we got more thick and bold black grid lines.
Read More: How to Make Gridlines Darker in Excel (2 Easy Ways)
2. Using Excel Options to Make Solid Grid Lines
There is a feature in the Excel Options, from there we can change the color of the default grid lines. That will slightly make solid the grid lines but not like the previous methods.
- Click on the File tab beside the Home tab.
- Next, click on Options from the appeared menu.
Soon after, the Excel Options dialog box will appear.
- Later, click on the Advanced section.
- Then scroll down and go to the ‘Display options for this worksheet’
- Select the sheet name from the drop-down list.
- Finally, just select a darker color from the Gridline color option and press OK. I picked black color.
Soon, you will see that the color of the grid lines is changed to our selected color although it’s not so thicker and continuous. So the best option is to follow the first method.
Read More: How to Make Square Grid Lines in Excel Graph (4 Effective Ways)
How to Change Color of Solid Grid Lines
If you want to change the color of your grid lines then also it’s possible to do it easily in Excel. Actually, here we’ll just change the color of the borders that we created following the first method.
- Firstly, click on the Borders command and then select your desired color from the Line Color option. I chose the green color.
- Then click on the green triangular icon of your sheet and select All Borders from the Borders command.
- Or, follow the first two steps from the 1.2 section of this article and then select the color from the Color section, select thickness and mark all the borders.
And soon after, you will get the output like the image below.
Read More: How to Change Gridlines in Excel (4 Suitable Ways)
That’s all for the article. I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to make solid grid lines in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback. Visit ExcelDemy to explore more.