In this article, I will show you how to link an MS Word document to excel worksheets. Often, while working in excel, you may need to link information from a Microsoft Word document to an excel sheet. Depending on your requirement, there is more than one method available to link MS Word files to excel. So, I will show you those ways. Besides, I will explain how to embed a Word document in excel.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook that we have used to prepare this article.
Difference Between Embedding and Linking a Word Document
Before starting to link and embed Word documents to excel, let’s have a look at the difference between embedding and linking a document.
➤ Linking an MS Word file to an excel worksheet means the original Word document and the word file placed in the excel sheet will maintain a connection. If I say more elaborately if you edit/delete anything from the original word document, that change will automatically reflect in the Word file that is placed in the excel file. And, it happens vice versa.
➤ On the other hand, Embedding a Word document in an excel worksheet will break the connection between the word files instantaneously. That means if you update the original word file, that change would not reflect in the word file embedded in the excel sheet. One thing to remember about embedding files to excel is: ‘It increases the size of the excel file’.
2 Easy Methods to Link Word Document to Excel
1. Link Word Document to an Excel Worksheet Using ‘Object’ Option
Now I will link a Word document to excel using the Object option.
- Go to the excel worksheet where you want to create the linkage. I have put my cursor on Cell B4.
- From Excel Ribbon, go to the Insert tab.
- Next, go to Text > Object.
- As a result, the Object window will show up. Now click on the Create from File By clicking on the Browse option choose the Word document you want to link with. After that put tick marks on Link to file and Display as icon option (see the screenshot). Click OK.
- Finally, the Word file is placed on the excel sheet and the file is linked to the original Word file.
- How to Link Sheets in Excel with a Formula (4 Methods)
- Link Data from One Spreadsheet to Another in Excel
- How to Link Sheets to a Master Sheet in Excel (5 Ways)
- Reference from Another Excel Workbook without Opening (5 Examples)
- Transfer Specific Data from One Worksheet to Another for Reports
You can link a word document very easily by using a Hyperlink. For example, I have a file name typed in Cell B4. Now, I will link a Word file to this file name.
- Click on Cell B4, and press Ctrl + K from the keyboard to bring the Insert Hyperlink.
- Click on the Existing File or Web Page option and choose the Word document from the Look in Press OK.
- Consequently, Cell B4 is linked to a specific Word document. Clicking the Hyperlink will direct you to the corresponding MS Word file.
- You can open the Insert Hyperlink window just by right-clicking on the specified cell.
- Or, you can go Inset > Link > Insert Link to bring the window.
Apply Object Option to Embed Word Document in Excel
This time I will show you how to embed an MS Word document into an excel file.
- First, go to the corresponding excel sheet.
- Then go to Insert > Text > Object.
- The Object window will show up. Next, go to Create from File Then, click on the Browse option to choose the Word document you want to link with. Put tick marks on only the Display as icon option (see the screenshot) and select OK.
- As a consequence, the Word file will be embedded in the excel file.
- How to Link Two Sheets in Excel (3 Ways)
- Reference Worksheet Name in Formula in Excel (3 Easy Ways)
- How to Link Data in Excel from One Sheet to Another (4 Ways)
- Reference cell in another Excel sheet based on cell value!
Pros and Cons of Linking Word Document to Excel
Linking Word documents to excel has some amazing advantages such as:
- Linking Word files keeps your excel file size less. This is because the information is still stored in word files, excel only displays the information.
- In case you need to update anything in Word files, linking saves a lot of time.
Unfortunately, there is a disadvantage of linking word files to excel.
- The file path must be always the same which means the original word file requires to be in the same location. If you send the excel file to people who do not have the access to the linked location, then linking won’t be useful.
In the above article, I have tried to discuss several methods to link a word document to excel elaborately. Hopefully, these methods and explanations will be enough to solve your problems. Please let me know if you have any queries.