You can manually insert a blank column between every other column but that is not feasible, especially for a large dataset. Also, it will be very time-consuming too. Excel offers some exclusive ways to do it quickly and smartly. This article will provide you with 3 quick methods to insert a column between every other column in Excel.
Insert a Column Between Every Other Column in Excel: 3 Ways
To demonstrate the methods, we’ll use the following dataset that represents some fruits’ prices for three consecutive months.
1. Use Keyboard Shortcut to Insert a Blank Column Between Every Other Column in Excel
In our very first method, we’ll use a keyboard shortcut to insert a column between every other column in Excel. And it’s one of the easiest ways.
- Select all the columns excluding the first column by clicking the column letter by pressing and holding CTRL-key.
- Then just press simultaneously CTRL + SHIFT + Plus Key(+).
Soon after, you will see that Excel has added a column between every other column.
Read More: How to Insert a Column to the Left in Excel
2. Using Helper Row And Sort Feature to Insert a Blank Column Between Every Other Column
Now we’ll apply a tricky way to do the task. We will need a helper row for that and then we’ll use the Sort command. Let’s see how to do it.
- Insert a new row just right above the dataset.
- Then serially type 1 and 2.
- Next, use the Flash Fill tool to extend the serial number till the last column.
Giving numbers in the added row is done.
- After that, copy all the numbered cells and paste them right after the last number in the same row.
- Now, select the whole dataset.
- Then click as follows: Home ➤ Editing ➤ Sort & Filter ➤ Custom Sort.
A dialog box will open up soon.
- Click Options.
- Later, mark Sort left to right and press OK.
- Then click on the drop-down icon from the Sort by box and select the row number of the added row. I selected Row 4.
- Finally, just press OK.
Now have a look, we are done with the task.
- Lastly, delete the added row.
3. Embed VBA Macros to Insert a Blank Column Between Every Other Column in Excel
If you like to work with codes in Excel then you can easily insert a column using VBA macros and also between every other column in Excel.
- Press ALT + F11 to open the VBA window.
- Then click serially: Insert ➤ Module.
- Write the following codes in the module-
Sub Insert_Column_Between_Every_Other() For Xcol = 3 To 8 Step 2 Columns(Xcol).Insert Shift:=xlToRight Next End Sub
- Then just click the Run icon to run the codes.
- First, I created a Sub procedure Insert_Column_Between_Every_Other.
- Then used a For loop to identify the adding column number starting from column number 3 and it will skip 2 steps each time the loop executes.
- Finally, used Columns(Xcol).Insert Shift:=xlToRight to insert columns in the right positions.
Here’s the output.
You will get a practice sheet in the Excel file given above to practice the explained ways.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel template from here and practice on your own.
I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to insert a column between every other column in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.