Microsoft Excel is a powerful software. We can perform numerous operations on our datasets using Excel tools and features. There are many default Excel Functions that we can use to create formulas. Many educational institutions and business companies use Excel files to store valuable data. Sometimes, we insert charts or graphs because they represent survey results better. Again, we carry out mathematical tasks with equations in an Excel worksheet. Plotting a chart without having the prior dataset may seem a complicated job. This article will show you the step-by-step procedures to graph an equation in Excel without data.
How to Graph an Equation in Excel Without Data: with Easy Steps
You can use any mathematical equation as per your wish. In this example, we’ll use the simple linear equation: y = mx + c. This equation will return straight lines when plotted on a graph. Here, x is an independent variable whereas, the y variable depends on x. And c is a constant, known as the intercept of y. Lastly, m is the gradient, also known as the slope of the straight line. So, we’ll graph the equation without having a dataset beforehand. Therefore, go through the following steps carefully to perform the task.
STEP 1: Input Equation
In our first step, we’ll input the equation.
- For that purpose, type m, x, c, and y in the cell range B4:E4 respectively.
- See the below picture for a clear understanding.
STEP 2: Apply Formula for Calculation
However, we need to create a simple formula for the y variable calculation. Here, we’ll create that formula. Hence, follow the process to perform the task.
- Now, in cell E5, type the formula:
- Next, press Enter.
- It’ll return 0 for now as we’re yet to enter the cell values.
STEP 3: Graph Equation
This is the most important step. We’ll insert a graph in this step. So, learn the process to carry out the operation.
- Firstly, select the range C4:C9.
- Then, press and hold down the Ctrl key.
- After that, select the range E4:E9.
- The following figure will make it clear for you.
- Subsequently, go to the Insert tab.
- There, click Recommended Charts.
- As a result, the Insert Chart dialog box will pop out.
- Go to the All Chart tab.
- Next, press X Y (Scatter).
- Consequently, choose Scatter with Smooth Lines and Markers.
- Afterward, press OK.
- Thus, you’ll get the graph.
- But as we have an empty dataset, you won’t see any plottings for now.
STEP 4: Input Data
We’ll also show how to input data after we’re done with the graph insertion.
- First of all, place the value of m as 2 for all the cases.
- Then, type your desired values for the independent variable x.
- Similarly, insert the value of c as 5.
- Finally, apply the AutoFill tool to get the outcomes of the range E5:E9.
- Hence, it’ll return the accurate outputs for the y variable.
- Look at the below dataset to realize better.
As a result, you’ll automatically see a linear line graph as shown below. So in this way, we can graph an equation without having the dataset. This is applicable to any equation.
Read More: How to Graph a Linear Equation in Excel
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
Henceforth, you will be able to graph an equation in Excel Without Data following the above-described procedures. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.