If you are searching for the solution or some special tricks to solve the problem you face when the Excel status bar is not showing the sum then you have landed in the right place. There are some quick ways that you should try to solve the problem you face when the Excel status bar is not showing the sum. This article will show you each and every step with proper illustrations so you can easily apply them for your purpose. Let’s get into the main part of the article.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the practice workbook from here:
3 Solutions for Excel Status Bar Not Showing Sum
By default. In Excel, when the user selects a range of numbers, its shows the count, sum, and average value in the status bar on the bottom side of the worksheet.
But for any reason, the status bar in excel may not show the sum, average, or count values. And, you may feel the need to recover the status bar. So, in this section, I will show you 3 quick and easy ways that you should try when the problem you face when the Excel status bar is not showing the sum on Windows operating system. You will find detailed explanations of methods and formulas here. I have used Microsoft 365 version here. But you can use any other versions as of your availability. If any methods won’t work in your version then leave us a comment.
1. Customize Excel Status Bar
In most cases, the reason behind this problem is the customization of the status bar. Follow the steps shown below to solve this-
- Go to the status bar and right-click on it.
- Here, you will see a list of options named “Customize Status Bar” will come. Some of them are marked ticked and some of them are not.
- So, now find the options Sum, Average, and Count and mark them ticked.
- As a result, you will see the status bar is showing the sum, average, and count values.
2. Change Cell Format to Numbers
Sometimes, you may find that the sum, average, and count all are marked in the customized status bar but still, the status bar is not showing the sum. It may happen because of the format of the cells. The status bar will not show the sum if the cells are not in number format. So, you have to convert them into a number format. Follow the steps below:
- When, you see the status bar is showing only the count values but no sum and average values then, you have to change the format of the cell.
- For this, select the cells, and go to the Home tab.
- Open the Format drop-down options and select Number format.
- As a result, the problem should be solved.
- But in some cases, you will find an apostrophe(‘) in front of the numbers which is used to convert the number format to text format.
- If you find anything like that, then you have to remove the apostrophe from the cells individually.
- Now, finally, you will the status bar is showing the sum and average value.
3. Remove Formatting Using Paste Values Option
You can also use the Paste Values feature in Excel to paste only the values not the formats. So, you will get easily the values in number format. Follow the steps below-
- First, copy the cells using an Excel keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C.
- Now right-click on cell E5 and select the Paste Value option.
- Then, select the cells of the new column and apply the “Number” format to them.
- As a result, you should have the cells in the number format. If it doesn’t occur automatically then you have to double-click on the cells individually. And you will get the cells in number format finally.
- Now, select the cells of the last column and you will see that the status bar is showing the sum and average value as normal.
In this article, you have found the solutions when you face that the Excel status bar is not showing the sum or average values. I hope you found this article helpful. You can visit our website ExcelDemy to learn more Excel-related content. Please, drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.