Among different kinds of not-working problems in Excel, not-working comment issues are a crucial issue. Excel’s comment feature is quite necessary and useful in our regular usage. So if it doesn’t work properly then it hampers our work and consumes time. If you are already facing this issue and searching for a source to overcome the situation then you have visited the right place. We are here to help you solve the issue when comments are not displaying properly in Excel with 3 quick fixes.
Comments Are Not Displaying Properly in Excel: 3 Solutions
First of all, get introduced to our dataset that shows some books’ prices and publishing years. Look, cell B5 and B9 are containing two comments.
1. Mark Indicator Only, and Comments and Notes on Hover Option
The most frequent and common reason is maybe you or someone else may have activated the No comments, notes, or indicators option from the Excel options. Look here at the dataset, the comments are no more. Let’s check the option and solve it.
- Click on the File tab beside the Home tab.
- Next, click on Options from the appeared menu.
Soon after, the Excel Options dialog box will open up.
- Select the Advanced menu.
- Then scroll down and go to the Display section.
And look, the No comments, notes, or indicators option is activated here, that’s why no comments were displaying.
- Now mark the Indicators only, and comments and notes on hover option.
- Finally, just press OK.
Now see the comments are displaying properly.
2. Escape from Active Cell in Excel
If you are in editing mode in Excel, meaning your cursor is active in a cell then maximum commands of Excel won’t work. So for this reason, the Show Comments option can be grayed out. Have a look at the image below, all the comments options are grayed out including the Show Comments option.
- Look, Cell C7 is active in our worksheet. Press the Esc button to release the cursor or click anywhere on the worksheet.
Now see, the options are available, click on the Show Comments option and it will work.
All the comments are now visible.
3. Restart, Reinstall or Update the Excel App
Sometimes comments don’t display properly if the Excel app is not started or installed properly. This creates a lot of issues. Or maybe your Excel version is too old. In this situation, the above two solutions won’t work. First, reopen your Excel app, if it doesn’t resolve the issue then reinstall or update the Excel app. If you are using a cracked version of Excel then it also may create a problem because the cracked version doesn’t work properly all the time, so try to use the genuine version. If these things fail to rescue you then let know your issue to Microsoft Support team by mailing them, and their expert team will solve the issue of your Excel app.
Download Practice Workbook
You can download the free Excel workbook from here and practice independently.
That’s all for the article. I hope the procedures described above will be good enough to fix the problem when comments are not displaying properly in Excel. Feel free to ask any question in the comment section and please give me feedback.
- How to Populate Comment from Another Cell in Excel
- How to Extract Comments in Excel
- How to Extract Comments from Word Document into Excel
- How to Export Instagram Comments to Excel
- Convert Comments to Notes in Excel
- [Fixed!] Excel Comment Only Showing Arrow
- Difference Between Threaded Comments and Notes in Excel