In Microsoft Excel, we can represent a piece of data in different forms. The percentage is one of them. A percentage is the presentation of numeric data based on the ratio of 100. Sometimes we need the decimal format instead of the percentage format. We will discuss how to convert this percentage to decimal in Excel in this tutorial.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
7 Methods to Convert Percentage to Decimal in Excel
We will show 7 simple methods to convert a percentage to decimal in Excel. We will consider the dataset below. It contains the monthly growth rate of the 1st six months of 2021 of a superstore.
1. Convert Percentage to Decimal Using the General Format
We will use the General format to convert the percentage to decimal in this section. Apply the following steps.
- First, select Cell C5 to Cell C10.
- From the Home tab go to Number group.
- Click on the arrow icon and choose General from the list.
Look at the data set now.
Our data is converted into decimal from the percentage.
Related Content: How to Convert Percentage to Number in Excel (5 Easy Ways)
2. Apply Number Format to Convert Percentage to Decimal
This method is a bit similar to the previous method. We will apply the Number format here. Just follow the steps below.
- Select Cell C5 to C10 which contains percentage data.
- Go to the Number group from the Home tab.
- Choose Number from the Number Format options.
Look at the dataset again.
We get data in our desired decimal format.
3. Use the Custom Format Cells to Convert Percentage to Decimal
We will apply the customized options of Format Cells in this section.
- Select Cells C5 to C10.
- Now, click the arrow marked on the Number group.
- Go to the Custom option from the list of Number tab.
- Select a suitable decimal format from the list, then press OK.
Notice the Growth Rate column of the dataset.
All percentage data are converted to decimal now.
4. Simple Copy-Paste Method to Convert Percentage to Decimal
Copy & Paste is one of the widely used tools of Microsoft Excel. We can use this tool to convert a percentage to a decimal.
We add a column named Decimal Form in the dataset for this purpose.
Now follow the steps below.
- Then, go to Cell D5.
- Press the right button of the mouse.
- Choose Values(V) from the Paste Options.
Finally, look at the dataset.
In the new column, given percentage data are transformed into decimal now.
5. Apply Excel Paste Special Method to Convert Percentage
The Paste Special command has some lucrative facilities while performing data paste. We will use this tool in this section.
- Choose Cells C5 to C10 first.
- Press Ctrl+C to copy them.
- Go to Cell D5, click the right button of the mouse.
- Click Paste Special from the list.
- The Paste Special window will appear. Choose Values from that window and then press OK.
Notice the Decimal Form column now.
6. Excel NUMBERVALUE Function to Convert Percentage to Decimal
The NUMBERVALUE function converts any argument to a number.
We will use this function to convert the percentage to a decimal.
- Now, go to Cell D5.
- Write the following formula on that cell.
- Now, press the Enter button.
- Pull the Fill Handle icon for the rest of the cells.
All the percentage data are converted into decimal now.
7. VBA Function to Convert Percentage to Decimal
We can apply a VBA function to convert the percentage to a decimal.
- Go to the Record Macro option from the Developer tab.
- Set the name of the macro and then press OK.
- Now, click on the Macros command.
- Select the macro and click on Step Into.
- Write the following VBA code on the command module.
Function D_number(P_number As String) As Double P_number = Left(P_number, Len(P_number)) D_number = Val(P_number) / 1 End Function
- Save the code.
- Now, go to Cell D5 of the dataset.
- Put the formula below.
- Press the Enter button and drag the Fill Handle icon.
Convert Number to Percentage without Multiplying by 100
We can convert any number to a percentage without multiplying by 100. The following dataset is considered for this purpose.
Now, follow the steps below.
- First, select Cells C5 to C10.
- Choose Percentage sign(%) from the Number group of the Home tab.
- Or we can press Ctrl+Shift+%.
Look at the dataset now.
Things to Remember
- We need a helper column while using the Paste tool and functions.
- You can enter Format Cells by pressing Ctrl+1 also.
- We do not need to run the VBA code, just save the code and apply the function on the dataset.
In this article, we described 7 methods to convert percentages to decimal numbers in Excel. I hope this will satisfy your needs. Please have a look at our website Exceldemy.com and give your suggestions in the comment box.
- How to Convert String to Long Using VBA in Excel (3 Ways)
- Convert String to Double in Excel VBA (5 Methods)
- How to Convert Text to Number with Excel VBA (3 Examples with Macros)
- Convert Hours and Minutes to Decimal in Excel (2 Cases)
- How to Convert Degrees Minutes Seconds to Decimal Degrees in Excel