While working with a large Microsoft Excel dataset, sometimes we see that the right-click copy paste does not work in Excel. This is a common scenario in MS Excel. Today, from our dataset, we will learn the reasons and twelve solutions for the right-click copy paste not working in Excel effectively with appropriate illustrations.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook to exercise while you are reading this article.
11 Easy Solutions to Fix Right Click Copy and Paste Not Working in Excel
Let’s say, we have a dataset that contains information about several sales representatives of the Armani group. The Name of the sales representatives, their Identification Number, type of products, and the revenue earned by the sales representatives are given in columns B, C, D, and E respectively. Form our dataset, we notice that the right-click copy paste does not work due to some cases. We will fix those reasons by using keyboard shortcuts, Command Prompt command, Add-in Command, VBA Macros also, and so on. Here’s an overview of the dataset for today’s task.
1. Run a VBA Code to Solve the Right Click Copy and Paste Issue in Excel
While the right-click copy paste does not work, we can use a VBA Code to enable the right-click copy paste in Excel. Let’s follow the instructions below to fix this problem!
- First, Press Alt + F11 simultaneously on your keyboard.
- After that, a window named Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications – Copy Paste Not Working will instantly appear in front of you. From that window, we will insert an Immediate Window from the View To do that, go to,
View → Immediate Window
- Hence, a module named Immediate will appear in front of you. In the Immediate, write down the below VBA code,
- Further, press ENTER on your keyboard and you will enable to fix the right-click copy paste option.
2. Use the Command Prompt Feature to Fix the Right Click Copy and Paste Error in Excel
In several cases, Microsft Access or Microsoft Excel shows a “copy paste not working” error. We can solve the error by using the Command Prompt to fix the right-click copy paste. Let’s follow the instructions below to learn!
- First of all, If you are using the Windows 8 or later version, go to the search bar and type Command Prompt. Hence, press on the Run as administrator option. You can do that in windows 7 or before from the start menu.
- After that, a command window named Administrator: Command Prompt will appear in front of you. From that command window, type sfc /scannow.
- Further, press ENTER on your keyboard, and you will be able to solve the error.
3. Apply the Task Manager Command to Solve Error in Excel
While the right-click copy paste does not work in Excel, you will use the Task Manager command to fix the error. Let’s follow the steps below to solve the error!
- First, press Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- After pressing the key, select the Task Manager Then, the Task Manager dialog box pops up. From the Task Manager dialog box, go to,
Microsoft Excel → End Task
- Hence, you will be able to fix the error.
- Apply VBA PasteSpecial and Keep Source Formatting in Excel
- How to Copy and Paste in Excel and Keep Cell Size (7 Examples)
- Copy and Paste Values to Next Empty Row with Excel VBA (3 Examples)
- How to Copy and Paste in Excel without Formulas (7 Easy Tricks)
- Macro to Copy and Paste from One Worksheet to Another (15 Methods)
4. Fix Right Click Copy and Paste Not Working Error While Copying Different Rows and Columns in Excel
Excel shows the right-click copy-paste errors when we copy different rows and columns. See the steps below to know about the problem.
- Firstly, select different rows and columns as shown in the red-colored boxes in the following picture and try to copy them. Hence immediately, an error message will pop out.
This happens because the Excel copy command doesn’t operate on different rows and different columns at the same time. The solution is given below.
- Select any range of cells in columns B and C and copy them. It’ll work.
- Additionally, select any cells present in rows 7, 8, 9, and 10 and copy them. The above-mentioned problem won’t arise.
5. Remove Conditional Formatting to Fix the Error in Excel
Sometimes, Excel doesn’t allow copying and pasting or slows down the process due to the application of Conditional Formatting in the datasheet. To learn how to clear the issue, see the below steps.
- First, from your Home tab, go to,
Home → Styles → Conditional Formatting → Clear Rules → Clear Rules from Entire Sheet
- Hence, it’ll remove all the formattings. And then, save the file as a new file. Finally, you’ll be able to copy and paste without any issues.
6. Use the Add-in Command to Fix the Error in Excel
We can solve our problem by using the File ribbon option. This is an easy and time-saving way also. Let’s follow the steps below to fix this problem!
- First, press on the File option.
- After clicking on the File ribbon, a new window pops up. From that window, go to,
More → Options
- After pressing on the Options menu, a dialog box named Excel Options will appear in front of you. From that dialog box, firstly, select the Add-in Secondly, check the Go box from the Manage option.
- Subsequently, to disable the add-ins, uncheck all of them. After that, enable them again. Finally, the issue will disappear and you can copy and paste without any issues.
- VBA Code to Compare Two Excel Sheets and Copy Differences
- Excel VBA: Copy Range to Another Workbook
- Copy Multiple Cells to Another Sheet in Excel (9 Methods)
- How to Copy Alternate Rows in Excel (4 Ways)
- Excel VBA to Copy Data from Another Workbook without Opening
7. Modify the System Configuration to Solve the Problem in Excel
Moreover, rebooting the PC in a clean boot state will show you if the Excel sheet is corrupted or not. So, see the steps below to reboot.
- First, select the Windows icon and search for Run.
- Then, type msconfig in the Open box and press OK.
- As a result, a dialog box will pop out. There, under the General tab, uncheck the Load startup items in the Selective startup.
- After that, go to the Services Now, check to Hide all Microsoft services and then select Disable all.
- Subsequently, in the Startup tab, select Open Task Manager.
- At last, disable each and every startup process.
- Finally, go back to the System Configuration window and press OK to save the changes. It’ll reboot in clean mode after you restart your PC.
- Further, you will be able to fix the error.
8. Apply the Paste Special Feature to Fix Right Click Copy and Paste Not Working in Excel
We all have faced problems whenever we want to copy and paste the separate ranges of cells including Formulas in the dataset values. We notice that only the values get pasted but not the formulas involved in them. For this reason, the result doesn’t change even if we change the cell values present in the argument. Follow the steps to get rid of this issue.
- First, select the range of cells B4 to E7 and B13 to E14 to work with.
- Then, select cell G4 or any other cell from your dataset where you want to paste.
- After that, right-click on the mouse and select Paste Special from the context menu.
- After clicking on the Paste Special option, instantly a dialog box named Paste Special pops up. From the dialogue box, select All from the Paste At last, press OK.
- As a result, you’ll get your desired output.
9. Ignore Dynamic Data Exchange to Fix Right Click Copy and Paste Not Working in Excel
Additionally, the Dynamic Data Exchange(DDE) option can create problems during copying and pasting. Ignoring Dynamic Data Exchange(DDE) can solve the ‘Excel cannot paste data’ issue. Hence, learn the process to ignore DDE.
- First, click File.
- Hence, select Options, which you’ll find on the bottom-left side.
- After that, a dialog box will pop out. There, in the Advanced tab uncheck the box Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). At last, press OK. Now, you’ll be able to copy and paste ignoring this issue.
- How to Paste From Clipboard to Excel Using VBA
- Disable Copy and Paste in Excel without Macros (With 2 Criteria)
- How to Copy Excluding Hidden Rows in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- Excel VBA to Copy Rows to Another Worksheet Based on Criteria
- How to Use VBA to Paste Values Only with No Formatting in Excel
10. Restart Your PC to Fix the Problem in Excel
The most easiest and time-saving way to fix the right click copy paste in Excel is to restart your PC. Let’s follow the instructions below to learn!
- First of all, press right-click on the start menu and a window will appear in front of you. From that window, go to,
Shut down or sign out → Restart
- After restarting your PC, you will be able to fix the copy paste error.
11. Solve the Right Click Copy and Paste Problem with Excel VBA
From our dataset, we will fix the right-click copy paste by using a simple VBA code. It’s very helpful for some particular moments. Let’s follow the instructions below to learn!
- First of all, select the continuous data rows that you want to select from your dataset, and then from your Developer tab, go to,
Developer → Visual Basic
- After clicking on the Visual Basic ribbon, a window named Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications – Copy Paste Not Working will instantly appear in front of you. From that window, we will insert a module for applying our VBA code. To do that, go to,
Insert → Module
- Hence, the Copy Paste Not Working module pops up. In the Copy Paste Not Working module, write down the below VBA
Sub Copy_Paste() CommandBars("Cell").Reset CommandBars("Row").Reset CommandBars("Column").Reset End Sub
- After that, run the VBA To do that, go to,
Run → Run Sub/UserForm
- After running the code, you will be able to solve the right-click copy paste error.
Things to Remember
👉 Sometimes, Virus causes issues in Excel copying and pasting commands. Try to remove that malicious virus in order to solve the problems.
👉 If a Developer tab is not visible in your ribbon, you can make it visible. To do that, go to,
File → Option → Customize Ribbon
I hope all of the suitable methods mentioned above to fix the copy paste not working error will now provoke you to apply them in your Excel spreadsheets with more productivity. You are most welcome to feel free to comment if you have any questions or queries.
- How to Autofilter and Copy Visible Rows with Excel VBA
- Copy Unique Values to Another Worksheet in Excel (5 Methods)
- How to Copy Merged and Filtered Cells in Excel (4 Methods)
- Run Time Error 1004: PasteSpecial Method of Range Class Failed
- All Paste Options in Excel with Time Saving Shortcuts
- Copy Rows in Excel (4 Easy Ways)
- How to Copy and Paste Exact Formatting in Excel(Quick 6 Methods)