In Excel, we work with various types of datasets. Sometimes, we need to import data from a secure website to Excel. In this article, you will learn how you can import data from websites quickly. You will also be able to learn to refresh data after extracting it from a secure website. So, without further ado, let’s start the discussion.
Introduction of a Secure Website to Import Dataset
To describe the method, we will import US DOLLAR EXCHANGE RATES TABLE from the website X-RATES. From the table, we can say that, on 28th April, 1 USD was equal to 0.95 Euro and 1 Euro was equal to 1.05 USD.
Import Data from Secure Website to Excel: Step-by-Step Procedures
You will be able to import data from a secure website to Excel easily by following some steps. So, without any delay, let’s jump to the steps below.
STEP 1: Copy Link of Secured Website to Import Data
- The first thing you need to do is copy the link to the website.
- To do so, open the website on your browser and click on the address bar.
- After that, press Ctrl + C on the keyboard to copy the link to the website.
STEP 2: Website URL Pasting to Extract Data into Excel
- The second task is to paste the URL of the website.
- For that, open the Excel application.
- Now, go to the Data tab and select From Web.
- Then, the From Web dialog box will appear.
- Next, paste the link in the URL field by pressing Ctrl + V on the keyboard.
- Click OK to proceed.
STEP 3: Select Data Table
- After clicking OK, the Navigator window will appear.
- Here, in the first place, you need to select the desired data table.
- You can also look at the Web View to ensure the opened website is correct.
STEP 4: Import Excel Data
- In STEP 4, we will import the selected dataset into our Excel sheet.
- To do so, select Load from the Navigator window.
- Finally, you will see the imported data in your Excel workbook.
STEP 5: Refresh the Imported Data
- Now, suppose you have deleted the 1.00 USD column.
- To bring it back, go to the Data tab and select Refresh.
- After that, you will get the column back.
Note: To see updated values of the currency, you just need to select Refresh from the Data tab. For example, if you refresh it on 29th April, you will get the exchange rates for that day.
STEP 6: Transform Excel Data
Sometimes, we don’t need extra columns or data from the desired data. To skip the undesired data, you need to delete them before uploading them on the Excel sheet, or you can use the Power Query Editor.
- To delete data permanently, go to Queries & Connections on the left side of the Excel window.
- After that, double-click on the table. It will open the Power Query Editor.
- Next, you need to select the column you want to delete.
- After selecting the column, just press the Delete key on the keyboard.
- In the following, select the ‘Close & Load’ icon.
- In the end, you will see results like the picture below.
- Alternatively, to delete any extra information permanently before loading the dataset, select Transform Data from the Navigator. It will open the Power Query Editor.
Things to Remember
Sometimes, we just want the updated data from the website. In those cases, you will not have to do anything extra. Simply select Refresh from the Data tab. Your dataset will be automatically updated if the data is updated on the website.
Download Practice Book
Download the practice book here.
We have demonstrated step-by-step guidelines to ‘Import Data from a Secure Website to Excel’. I hope this demonstration will help you to understand the method very easily. Furthermore, the practice book is also added at the beginning of the article. You can also download the practice book to exercise more. Last of all, if you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to ask in the comment section below.