Excel is a powerful software. We can perform numerous operations on our datasets using Excel tools and features. Such a kind is the Format Painter. You can easily copy the formatting of a certain cell or cell range with this tool. Then, you can apply that formatting to other desired cells. The formatting includes cell border style, font size and color, etc. You have to remember it’ll only copy the formatting, not the values. Sometimes, the Format Painter may not function due to some reasons. This article will show you 3 possible solutions if Format Painter Not Working in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
3 Possible Solutions for Format Painter Not Working in Excel
The Format Painter tool comes in handy when performing numerous tasks. We don’t have to change the formatting according to our needs every time we input new data. Doing that manually also requires a huge amount of time. It’s tiresome. In those cases, the format painter tool reduces our workloads. We will choose the cell range whose formatting we’d like to apply to other cells. Then, press the Format Painter tool. Afterward, select the range where we’ll apply the formatting. The below figure shows Format Painter, the tool in Excel.
1. Open Excel in Safe Mode
Opening the Excel in Safe Mode solves the issue of the Format Painter not working in most of the cases found. Therefore, we’ll try this solution first. So, follow the steps below to open Excel in safe mode.
- First, go to the Windows search bar.
- There, type Excel.exe /Safe.
- As a result, you’ll get the application as shown below.
- Subsequently, press it.
Again, you can follow another process to open the Excel file in safe mode.
- Firstly, press and hold down the Ctrl key.
- Then, double-click the desired Excel file to open it.
- Consequently, you’ll get a dialog box as shown in the following picture.
- After that, press Yes.
- Thus, it’ll open Excel in Safe Mode.
- See the below picture to have a better understanding.
2. Disable All Add-ins in Excel
Excel in Safe Mode should solve the Format Painter not working problem. But if the problem still persists, you may try disabling the Add-ins in Excel. Sometimes, some faulty Add-ins can cause problems in overall excel functioning. So, learn the following steps to disable Add-ins in Excel.
- In the beginning, go to the File tab.
- Next, select Options on the lower left-side pane in the File window.
- Consequently, the Excel Options dialog box will pop out.
- Go to the Add-ins tab afterward.
- Then, choose Excel Add-ins in the Manage field.
- After that, press Go.
- Accordingly, a new dialog box will appear.
- Here, uncheck the box for every Add-ins.
- Lastly, press OK.
- Now, close the Excel file and reopen it.
- In this way, the Format Painter not working issue can be solved.
3. Repair Microsoft Office Application
However, if your files are corrupted or have any other issues, the Format Painter tool may not work properly. Again, if your Microsoft Office Application is not compatible with your Windows version, Excel may not function properly. In such cases, you have to Repair the Office Application. Repairing will solve all the issues in Excel. Hence, the Format Painter will work without any issues.
Henceforth, you will be able to fix the Format Painter Not Working in Excel issue following the above-described solutions. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.