A lot of times we apply the Paste Link feature in MS Excel to retrieve data from different worksheets or different workbooks. But, whenever we open the Excel file that contains the links, we get an error dialog box that is not desired. In this article, we’ll show you the effective ways to fix the ‘This workbook contains links to other data sources’ error in Excel.
To illustrate, we’re going to use a sample dataset as an example. For instance, the following dataset has external links in the Net Sales column.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
You’ll get a Microsoft Excel dialog box whenever you open a file that has links to other worksheets or workbooks. The following picture shows the dialog box.
The Excel file can update the links automatically and will not show any message box if we make certain edits in the Excel File Options. Therefore, follow the below steps carefully to know how to fix the ‘This workbook contains links to other data sources’ error in Excel.
- First, go to File ➤ Options.
- As a result, the Excel Options dialog box will pop out.
- Then, select the Advanced tab on the right side.
- Now, under the General group, uncheck the box for Ask to update automatic links.
- Afterward, press OK.
- Finally, you can open Excel files that contain the external links for your data without getting any error message.
- How to Copy Hyperlink in Excel (4 Easy Methods)
- Excel Hyperlink with Shortcut Key (3 Uses)
- How to Solve ‘Cannot Open the Specified File’ Error in Excel Hyperlink
- [Fix]: Excel Automatic Update of Links Has Been Disabled
- Why Do My Excel Links Keep Breaking? (3 Reasons with Solutions)
We know Excel provides many different Features and we use them to perform various operations. Such a kind is the Edit Links feature which you’ll find in the Queries & Connections group under the Data tab. In this method, we’ll use this feature to solve the ‘This workbook contains links to other data sources’ problem in Excel.
It’s troublesome to get an error dialog box every time we open Excel files that have external links. But concurrently, we may want to update the links, in case there are any changes in the source files. So, learn the following steps to update the links without getting any alert message.
- Firstly, select Edit Links from the Queries & Connections group under the Data tab.
- Consequently, the Edit Links dialog box will appear.
- Here, select the Startup Prompt.
- As a result, the Startup Prompt dialog box will pop out.
- Then, check the circle for Don’t display the alert and update links.
- After that, press OK.
- At last, you can now open the Excel files and it’ll update the associated links automatically without showing any error dialog box.
Often, we share our workbook with many people, and very likely they won’t have access to the sources of the updated links. So, it’s more convenient if we turn off the updating and the prompt for updating. Hence, learn the following process to carry out the desired operation.
- First of all, go to Data ➤ Queries & Connections ➤ Edit Links.
- As a result, the Edit Links dialog box will pop out.
- Select Startup Prompt.
- Consequently, the Startup Prompt dialog box will emerge.
- Then, check the circle for Don’t display the alert and don’t update automatic links.
- Subsequently, press OK.
- Now, to update the links manually, again select Data ➤ Queries & Connections ➤ Edit Links.
- Next, select Update Values in the Edit Links dialog box.
- After that, press Close.
- Eventually, you’ll get the updated links and won’t get any error messages.
Read More: [Fix:] Edit Links in Excel Not Working
Henceforth, you will be able to fix the ‘This workbook contains links to other data sources’ error with the above-described methods. Keep using them and let us know if you have any more ways to do the task. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.
- Hyperlink in Excel Not Working (3 Reasons & Solutions)
- Hyperlink in Excel VBA: Properties and Applications
- How to Extract Hyperlink from URL in Excel (3 Methods)
- [Fixed!] Break Links Not Working in Excel (7 Solutions)
- Excel Hyperlink to Another Sheet Based on Cell Value
- How to Create Dynamic Hyperlink in Excel (3 Methods)