In this article, you will learn how to turn off the scroll lock in Excel. We have shown a good number of methods to do the work, for example, we will discuss how to turn off the scroll lock in Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Laptops, and Macs. You will also see how to do it if your keyboard does not have a Scroll Lock key.
What Is Scroll Lock?
Let me explain it to you. Suppose, You have a worksheet like the following image. The following worksheet has a big dataset with 80 rows. Right now cell B4 is selected. If we click on the Down Arrow once on our keyboard, the active cell will be B5. Now, what if you want to scroll down but you don’t want to move your active cell?
Here comes the use of the Scroll Lock key. Now, Again we select cell B4 and press the Scroll Lock key on your keyboard, and move the Down Arrow on your keyboard. See what happens. Cell B4 will be selected but the whole screen will move down as shown below. Check the status bar of Excel. You will see the Scroll Lock status is showing there. It means Scroll Lock is on.
How to Turn Off Scroll Lock in Excel: 5 Suitable Ways
The scroll-locking procedure is almost similar everywhere. We have to do it from the keyboard. In some keyboards, this is a designated key for the scroll lock, and in some keyboards, a combination of two or three keys will work for scroll locking. We are going to them below.
All the operations of this article are accomplished by using Microsoft Office 365 application.
1. Using Keyboard Button
If you have a 105-keyed keyboard, you probably have a designated Scroll Lock/ScrLK key on your keyboard. The process is simple.
- Just press the key (Scroll Lock/ ScrLK) to turn the scroll lock.
- You will figure out that the scroll lock button is turned off.
Thus, we can say that we are able to turn off the scroll lock using our keyboard key in Excel.
2. Applying On-Screen Keyboard
You can use the on-screen keyboard to turn off the scroll lock if you don’t have the designated scroll lock key. This is a built-in keyboard developed by Microsoft Corporation. So, its launching process will vary a little bit with the change in the Windows version.
2.1 On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10
The steps to launching the on-screen keyboard in Windows 10 are given below:
- First, press (Windows+Ctrl+O) altogether.
- A pop-up window will show the On-Screen Keyboard, similar to the picture below. If you find that the ScrLK key is in Blue, then it is already Turned On.
- Now, click on the ScrLK button once to Turn it Off & twice to turn it On. And vice versa.
- You will be able to turn off the scroll lock in Excel.
2.2 Using Menu Search Bar
You can also launch the on-screen keyboard from the Menu Search Bar. The steps of this method are given below:
- At first, go to Menu Search Bar then type “On-Screen Keyboard” (just type “on scr”, and you will see the match), On-Screen Keyboard App will come up.
- After that, click on the Open command, On-Screen Keyboard will appear in a moment.
- Then, if you find that the ScrLK key is in Blue Color, then it is already Turned On. Click on the ScrLK button once to turn it Off & twice to turn it On. And vice versa.
- You can turn off the scroll lock in Excel.
2.3 On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 8.1
The procedure to open the on-screen keyboard on Windows 8.1 is given below step-by-step:
- Firstly, click on the Start Menu.
- Then, press Ctrl+C and choose the Charms bar will be displayed > Click on Change PC Settings.
- Now, select Ease of Access.
- After that, click on the Keyboard command.
- Next, click on the On-Screen Keyboard slider button to turn it On.
- The on-screen keyboard will then appear in a moment, click on the ScrLk button.
2.4 Turn Off Scroll Lock in Windows 7
The steps to open the on-screen keyboard are given as follows:
- In the beginning, if the Scroll Lock key doesn’t exist Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > On-Screen Keyboard.
- The on-screen keyboard will appear in a moment on your screen, then just click the ScrLK button.
3. Turning Off Scroll Lock on Mac
On a Mac computer, you have to follow the same following procedure:
- On the Mac Keyboard for turning off the scroll lock press F14.
- In case F14 is present on the keyboard, but there is no Function (fn) key, You can use the SHIFT/CONTROL/OPTION/COMMAND+F14 shortcut to switch between the scroll lock on or off depending on the Mac setting.
4. Turn Off Scroll Lock on Dell Laptops
For some Dell Laptops, pressing the Fn+S shortcut keys altogether switches between turning Scroll Lock On and Off.
5. Turn Off Scroll Lock on HP Laptops
For some HP Laptops, pressing the Fn+C keys altogether switches between turning Scroll Lock On and Off.
How to Show Scroll Lock in Status Bar in Excel
The steps for showing the scroll lock in the status bar are shown below:
- At starting, place the cursor on the Excel Status Bar and Right-Click > Customize Status Bar menu will appear.
- You see that the Scroll Lock option is on but it is not checked, this is why the Scroll Lock status is not showing in the status bar.
- Check (select) the Scroll Lock option.
- Now, you can see the Scroll Lock status is showing on the Status Bar area.
Download Practice Workbook
Download this practice workbook for practice while you are reading this article.
That’s the end of this article. I hope that this article will be helpful for you and you will be able to turn off the scroll lock in Excel. Please share any further queries or recommendations with us in the comments section below if you have any further questions or recommendations.