Microsoft Excel is a powerful software. We can perform numerous operations on our datasets using excel tools and features. There are many default Excel Functions that we can use to create formulas. Many educational institutions and business companies use excel files to store valuable data. Sometimes, we insert charts or graphs because they represent survey results better. We can easily plot mathematical equations in excel. However, we can also generate equations from a standard curve in excel. This article will show you 2 easy ways to Determine Protein Concentration from Standard Curve in Excel.
Download Practice Workbook
Download the following workbook to practice by yourself.
2 Easy Ways to Determine Protein Concentration from Standard Curve in Excel
Often, we need to carry out various operations in excel worksheets. You’ll see how to determine protein concentration from a standard curve here. Before that, we need some protein sample concentrations and corresponding absorbance. To illustrate, we’ll use a sample dataset as an example. For instance, the following dataset contains some known protein concentration in g/L and their absorbance at 610 nm. We’ll generate a graph using this dataset. Now, learn the methods for determining protein concentration from this standard curve in excel.
1. Use Linear Equation Formula to Determine Protein Concentration from Standard Curve in Excel
We all know a simple linear equation formula which is:
We’ll use this equation in our first method to get the protein concentration. But first, we’ll show the steps to generate a standard curve from the given dataset. Here, the protein concentrations are our X-axis values and absorbances are Y-axis values. Therefore, follow the below steps to perform the task.
- First, select the range B4:C10.
- Then, go to Insert ➤ Charts ➤ Scatter.
- The following figure will make the steps clearer.
- As a result, you’ll see the standard curve.
- The below graph is our scatter chart output.
- Now, double-click any of the scatter plottings in the curve.
- Next, select Add Trendline in the Context Menu.
- Afterward, double-click the trendline and select Format Trendline.
- Consequently, the Format Trendline pane will appear.
- There, check the box for Display Equation on chart.
- Hence, you’ll see the trendline with the equation.
- Look at the following picture where the final output is demonstrated.
- If we compare the equation in the curve with the linear equation y = mx + c, we get m = 0.0292 and c = -0.0828.
- Subsequently, we place the values in cells C12 and C13 respectively.
- We have the absorbance of an unknown sample in cell C16 (859) which can also be termed y.
- Now, to get the unknown sample concentration or x, we’ll apply the formula:
x = (y-c)/m
- For this purpose, click cell B16.
- Type the formula:
- Press Enter.
- At last, it’ll return the protein concentration of an unknown sample.
2. Determine Protein Concentration from Standard Curve with Excel TREND Function
Moreover, the TREND function gives out values present in a linear trend analyzing the known data points. We’ll use this function to get protein concentration in excel. So, learn the following process to carry out the operation.
- Firstly, click cell B13.
- Then, input the formula:
- Consequently, press Enter.
- Thus, it’ll return the precise output.
Henceforth, you will be able to Determine Protein Concentration from Standard Curve in Excel following the above-described methods. Keep using them and let us know if you have more ways to do the task. Follow the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Don’t forget to drop comments, suggestions, or queries if you have any in the comment section below.