In this article, we will learn to make a tally purchase order format in Excel. A purchase order format describes the information about the ordered products and other necessary information. Today, we will demonstrate step-by-step procedures to make a tally purchase order format in Excel. These steps are simple and you can create your purchase order format by following them. You can also use the template that we will create in the upcoming sections. So, without further delay, let’s start the discussion.
What Is Purchase Order?
A purchase order or PO is a commercial document that is created by a buyer and given to a seller. It is very important in commercial areas because buyers use a purchase order to provide information to the seller about the needed items. A purchase order must contain some basic items.
- Company Name & Address
- Vendor Name & Address
- Shipping Details
- Item Description
- Item Unit Price & Total Price
- Payment Terms
- Comments & Signature with Date
How to Make Tally Purchase Order Format in Excel: Step-by-Step Procedures
In the following sections, we will discuss the steps to create a tally purchase order format in Excel. To do so, we will use a dataset that contains information about the description of some ordered products. In this case, we will create a purchase order format and use it to show the ordered products in Excel.
STEP 1: Insert Company Information
- In the first step, we will insert the company information of the buyer on the top-left side of the excel sheet.
- In the company information section, you need to type the Company Name, Street Address, ZIP Code, Phone, Email & Fax number.
- You can also add additional information about your company.
STEP 2: Add Purchase Order Details
- Secondly, we need to add the details of the purchase order.
- Generally, you can see the Order Date and Purchase Order (PO) Number in this section.
STEP 3: Create Vendor Information Section
- Thirdly, you need to create a vendor information section
- Here, you need to keep all the information about the vendor on the left side.
- In Vendor information, you must have the Name of the owner, Company Name, Street Address, ZIP Code, Phone, and Email address.
- On the right side, you can insert the shipping address.
- In the ‘Ship To’ section, add the necessary information about the buyer.
STEP 4: Make Shipping Details Fields
- In the following step, we will add Shipping Details in the purchase order format.
- Here, add the Shipping Method, Terms, and Delivery Date.
STEP 5: Design Description Box for Ordered Products
- After that, you need to add the most important part and that is the Description Box.
- In a Description Box, you must contain Item Code, Items, Quantity, Unit Price, and Total amount.
- Similarly, you can add extra columns according to your needs.
- To calculate the Total price of each item, we have multiplied the Quantity by the Unit Price.
- For that purpose, we have applied the formula below in Cell F20:
STEP 6: Create Segment to Sum Total
- Now, we need to create a segment for summing up the total amount.
- In that section, add the Subtotal, Tax, Shipping Cost, Other costs, and TOTAL amount.
- To calculate the Subtotal, we have used the SUM function and applied the formula in Cell F27:
- Again, to determine the TOTAL amount, apply the below formula:
STEP 7: Add Additional Features to Purchase Order Format
- Lastly, add some additional but necessary features to your purchase order.
- For example, you can add a Comment Section where the buyer can write special instructions.
- Also, make space to add the Signature and Date on the bottom side of the purchase order format.
After completing all the steps, the purchase order format will look like the picture below.
Download the template from here.
In this article, we have demonstrated step-by-step procedures for Making a Tally Purchase Order Format in Excel. I hope this article will help you to create a tally purchase order format easily. Moreover, you can use the template we have used here. To do so, download the workbook. In this case, we have added the workbook at the beginning of the article. Also, you can download it to test your skills. Visit the ExcelDemy website for more articles like this. Last of all, if you have any suggestions or queries, feel free to ask in the comment section below.